West Norfolk 14, Wymondham 8

West Norfolk stunned the Greene King Eastern Counties Division One leaders by storming to an outstanding triumph at Gatehouse Lane.

Nigel Richardson's in-form side made it four wins from five in 2013 with arguably their best victory of the season.

Second-half tries from Lawrence Savage and Alex Singleton, both converted by Oliver Denton, secured the shock victory.

West were clearly up for the game, cheered on by a good post lunch crowd. They were immediately on the attack and it needed a try saving tackle into touch from the Wymondham full back Sagakalele to keep them out.

From the line-out Wymondham eventually cleared with the help of a penalty to advance into the West half for the first time and a nice cross field kick from fly-half Simms gave the first scoring opportunity for Wymondham but West just managed to prevent the try.

This set the pattern for the first half in an open game with both sets of forwards working extremely hard and both sides looked capable of scoring through their backs as the game went from end to end. But surprisingly the first half ended 0-0.

Five minutes into the second half an ankle injury to a West back held up the play for 25 minutes and when play resumed both sides were straight back into the action.

Most Read

Wymondham seemed to be gaining a slight edge and managed to win ball in the middle of the pitch and sent winger Martin away to open the scoring with a try near the corner despite the attention of the West backs. The kick was missed so with 20 minutes to go it was 5-0 to Wymondham.

The lead did not last long. Wymondham conceded a penalty in the middle of the park from which West kicked to touch well down field. From the line-out they set up an excellent driving maul and went over to score a converted try to make it 7-5, with the West crowd now in full voice it was anyone's game.

The forwards all upped the pace and again both sides looked capable of a score.

West won a scrum and with some good interplay were able to get their speedy winger, who had caused Wymondham trouble all afternoon, away and he swerved past the defensive lines to give his fellow winger a pass to run in a converted try to make the score 14-5 to West.

The game continued at a furious pace and with about five minutes to go Wymondham looked like they had got their centre Ferns through but they were pulled back for a forward pass. The referee had already signalled a penalty which Wilson converted to bring the score to 14-8 and a losing bonus point for Wymondham.

Wymondham were ruing three or four other missed kicks at goal but were not done yet. West Norfolk though were determined to keep ahead and closed the game out for a well deserved win.