West Norfolk 12 Southwold 52: Wold produce superb display on the road
- Credit: Archant
Southwold overwhelmed West Norfolk in arctic conditions on Saturday in London Three Eastern Counties.
West opened the scoring on four minutes following a good spell of possession ending in their forwards driving over the Wold line but they missed their conversion from close to the posts following a complete miss kick thanks to the ball being moved by the huge cross wind.
Almost immediately Wold won good scrum ball and Callum Anthony at 10 made a terrific break down the right hand side and slipped the ball back inside to Sammy Harmer who sprinted in under the posts to put Wold's nose back in front at 7-5 as he also made the easy conversion
Ten minutes later Anthony was at it again as he broke away from a quickly taken penalty and this time put in James Barton for his first of three tries on the day and with the conversion good the Wold lead stretched to 5-14.
Barton then became provider as his pace beat the West defence and he put in Sammy Harmer for his second try but his wind affected conversion attempt went just wide. Ten minutes before half time the score moved to 5-26 when Wold were awarded a penalty try under the posts for West collapsing the scrum on their own try line.
You may also want to watch:
That man Anthony then broke the West line again and put in Barton for his second try and Wold's lead moved to 12-33 with five minutes to go until the break but West got a try of their own on the stroke of half time.
In the second half Wold were at it right from the kick off and were awarded a scrum 10 metres from the West line. A great scrum gave them good ball and the pack simply kept possession repeatedly driving for the line with Zak Loader eventually forcing his way over, wide on the right. The conversion was missed.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 5 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 9 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 10 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
A West prop then suffered an injury and with no other available front row replacement, the scrums then went uncontested for the last quarter of the game.
Wold scored two more converted tries through Barton and James Hall.