Weed plays a part in the search for decent bass
SEA FISHING: The final of the Help for Heroes match is being fished on the west bank of the river at Lynn this weekend. I reckon the competitors there are as likely to find a few fish as anybody fishing our beaches at the minute.
There have been a few bass, but not the numbers or the quality of recent weeks. Weed has been pivotal in catches – May weed was coupled with red weed at Bacton for Holt SAC's latest match. Dick Able won the match with eight flatties for 4lb 6oz, almost two pounds clear of Dene Conway with 2lb 10oz and Paul Thorburn an ounce away in third. Paul was the only competitor to card a sizeable bass, which is unusual for this stretch as there are often fish in the 1lb to 3lb bracket in and around the gulleys at Bacton.
Caister has produced a few school bass and flats, though like the beaches further north it is quiet at the moment. I think the best chances for a bit of sport round here would be in the river with lures or even well up the river towards Breydon with bait, fishing for eels and flounders.
I'm surprised the sole haven't turned up around the South Pier yet. The conditions haven't been quite right for long enough, though I'm sure when the conditions settle there will be a few.
It's a similar story down at Southwold – I've been told of a few fish, but again not the numbers or quality that those beaches are famous for.
You may also want to watch:
Afternoon high waters and tides approaching neaps doesn't give the prospects much of a boost in the northern half of the region though westerly winds bode well for those hunting mackerel, and there's always a chance of hounds.
It's little better in the southern half though the tides have the ebb running into darkness over the weekend which is always a help.
- 1 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 4 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 5 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 6 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 7 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 8 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 9 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 10 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts