Wealdstone 1, Lowestoft Town 2

The Lowestoft Town camp were purring with delight as the Trawlerboys produced their most dominant performance of the season so far to progress into the third qualifying round of the FA Cup.

The tie away to Wealdstone had looked a very daunting task but on the day the only doubt was when and how many goals the Trawlerboys would score.

Lowestoft had taken control from the start passing the ball around confidently with the strike duo of Jack Defty and Michael Frew causing the home defence numerous problems.

The first real chance arrived with Greg Crane feeding Andrew Fisk whose delightful ball inside the full back released Joe Francis but Rikki Banks produced the first of several excellent saves to turn the ball around the post.

Frew's run defeated the offside trap but he probably took the wrong option in shooting from a narrow angle into the side netting with Chris Henderson screaming for a square pass. Defty's lay off set Henderson clear but Banks dived to parry his shot with Francis blazing the loose ball wide.

Crane's forward ball was touched on by Defty to Frew whose shot skimmed the post. A 25-yard free-kick from Francis was turned round the post by Banks before Lowestoft's continued pressure finally produced a goal in the 35th minute. Frew held the ball up well before playing it back to Dan Gleeson. His cross was inevitably won by Defty whose knock down allowed Henderson to volley the ball into the net from six yards.

On the stroke of half-time Wealdstone had their first chance to have a strike at goal when awarded a free-kick 25 yards out but Richard Jolly could only slam the ball into the defensive wall.

Most Read

The second half started in similar vein with a Stuart Ainsley free kick finding Sam Gaughran whose header was held under the bar.

Completely against the run of play Wealdstone levelled the scores in the 50th minute. Kurtney Brooks tumbled under a challenge from Ainsley at the edge of the penalty area with the referee pointing to the spot. Sean Cronin stepped up to drill the spot kick past Andy Reynolds.

It took Lowestoft just five minutes to regain the lead with another excellent move ripping the home defence apart. Crane's forward ball was won in the air by Defty who knocked it on to Francis. He in turn played the ball on to the overlapping Ainsley whose cross was volleyed into the net by Frew.

The immaculate Defty set up another chance for Frew but he shot tamely straight at Banks. Henderson then set up Frew again but this time, although he beat the keeper, his shot was headed off the line by Lee Chappell.

The closing minutes saw Wealdstone desperately searching for an equaliser with keeper Banks joining the attack but they could not breach the solid Lowestoft defence.

- Wealdstone: Banks, McCubbin, Massey (Sub Pett 63), Parker, Cronin, Dyer, Brooks, O'Leary (Sub Webb 75), Dean (Sub Biadoo 75), Jolly, Chappell, Subs not used: Brewer, Hammond, Knight, Jordan

- Lowestoft Town: Reynolds, Gleeson, Ainsley, Fisk, Crane, Gaughran, Henderson (Sub Jones 87), Mitchell, Defty, Frew (Sub L Smith 81), Francis (Sub Cunningham 70). Subs not used: Eagle, Stone, Saker, Jessup.

- Attendance: 413