Warner's place could be for keeps
Peter Grant says on-loan Tony Warner is in pole position to solve Norwich City's goalkeeping problem. Warner, on loan from Premiership side Fulham for the rest of the season, is the fifth keeper to have played under Grant this season.
Peter Grant says on-loan Tony Warner is in pole position to solve Norwich City's goalkeeping problem.
Warner, on loan from Premiership side Fulham for the rest of the season, is the fifth keeper to have played under Grant this season.
Lee Camp and Jamie Ashdown came and went while David Marshall's stint was cut short by injury - prompting Grant to bring in Warner to compete with Paul Gallacher.
And while Marshall will still be high up on Grant's wish list, Warner did his cause no harm on Saturday with two saves that went a long way to ensuring City took all three points from Leicester.
You may also want to watch:
While Warner's situation is complicated by last week's managerial change at Fulham, the sticking point as far as City are concerned could be money for a player who still has a year left on his contract.
“He is in pole position, he has the jersey and it is up to him to prove he is good enough, not just to me but to his own suitors at Fulham and other suitors that are out there and can maybe afford to pay his wages,” said Grant.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 6 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 7 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 Old Buckenham Airshow going ahead as planned this weekend
- 10 Firefighters tackling smoking car after crash near pub
“You know Premiership money compared to what we have to offer so there are a lot of questions that need to be asked there.
“Goalkeeping is a position we will be looking at, everybody knows that.”
Warner has started all of City's games since being brought in at the beginning of last month and Grant admits he has made a difference in the nine games he has featured in.
“He made two wonder saves at the weekend and I just think he has given us something that wee bit different,” Grant added. “He has just given us a bit of calmness there.
“There is no doubt in my mind he got the three points at the weekend, because of the saves at vital times, even though we dominated the second half. One of those saves could have made it 2-0, it was their first attack of the second half.
“Good goalkeepers maybe win you 15 to 20 points a season.”