Ware 0 Dereham Town 1 – Joe Gatting strike ensures Magpies end 2016 with away victory
- Credit: Archant
Joe Gatting's goal early in the second half saw Dereham bring home the Ryman League Division One North points after a polished team performance.
In an open start, Dereham's Rhys Logan sprinted away from his marker on the right but his centre just eluded Gatting.
Ware responded with Brian Haule and Gareth Price both testing keeper Josh Glover with low 20-yard drives.
The Magpies pressed again and striker Ryan Crisp headed another Logan cross over the bar. They then missed a good chance in the 27th minute after Dion Frary found Crisp on the right. Crisp played a superb crossfield ball to Logan but, with only keeper Kyle Forster to beat, he fired wide.
The visitors were now on top and Crisp was upended just outside the box, but Forster saved Harley Black's drive. Ware's Price nearly caught Glover out with an opportunistic 30-yard drive that flew over the top.
You may also want to watch:
Play quickly switched ends and Gatting had a shot deflected for a corner and Frary headed Crisp's centre into Forster's arms as the half finished goalless.
But Dereham soon went in front – Black played a long ball forward to Gatting who displayed great awareness to flick the ball past Forster in the 47th minute.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 5 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 6 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 7 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 8 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 9 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach
Ware's Price was immediately allowed too much space in the box and fired a low drive into Glover's arms. Logan found Costandachi, who progressed before striking a fierce 30-yard drive wide.
Dereham missed a good chance to increase their lead when Gatting failed to capitalise on a mix-up between defender Marcus Rose and Forster, the striker not getting enough power in his shot to find the net from the edge of the box in the 58th minute.
Will Sainsbury-Logan hit a firm curler into Forster's arms after a four-man move as the visitors continued to play attractive football. The Magpies missed another chance to seal the game when Sainsbury-Logan fired over when well-placed following David Hinton's fine run down the left.
Ware: Forster, Mace, Oujdi, Oyibo (Delgado 55), Rose, Bradbury, Mason (Smith 78), Reynolds, Haule, Price (Soraf 86), Appiah. Unused subs: Delgado, Vaughan, Harris
Dereham: Glover, Costandachi (Beaumont 72), Black, Morphew, Frary, Eastoe-Smith, Logan, Sainsbury-Logan, Gatting, Crisp (Linford 68), Hinton. Unused subs: Mason, Ramm, Viner
Referee: P Forster