Walsham-le-Willows 4, Great Yarmouth Town 2 (aet)
Great Yarmouth exited the League Cup after a tight encounter was decided in extra time.
Despite going behind early on, Yarmouth gained a 2-1 lead, but the Bloaters couldn't prevent the game going into extra time.
Almost half the Yarmouth starting eleven had been changed from the Felixstowe match, with new goalkeeper Jamie Greygoose joining Clark, Miller, Bartley and Barnden in starting the match.
The game started slowly but the first attack for either team led to Walsham taking the lead. On six minutes a free-kick fell to Skipp, who flicked the ball to Diaper to fire past Greygoose from the edge of the area.
Conceding the lead early forced the Yarmouth attack into action. After several attempts to equalise from Woodcock, the striker finally scored after 15 minutes. Roscoe flicked the ball to Woodcock who from the edge of the area fired a shot that was deflected into the bottom corner.
You may also want to watch:
Just a minute later Walsham could have restored their lead when Tatham's shot from Diaper's deep cross rolled across the six yard box, rebounding off the far post.
After half an hour Great Yarmouth had a chance to go in front for the first time. Vide's volley from the edge of the area was deflected – by a Yarmouth back-heel – over the crossbar.
- 1 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 2 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 3 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 4 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 5 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 6 Man and woman found dead in home
- 7 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 8 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 9 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 10 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
The second half started with a higher tempo than the first, with the away side firmly in control, with Woodcock, Barnden and Spooner having chances within the opening ten minutes of the half. So it was no surprise when after 60 minutes Roscoe cut the ball back from the byline to Spooner, who couldn't miss at the near post.
Yarmouth continued to maintain pressure in the second half with Woodcock and Roscoe firing shots over the bar. But instead of extending their advantage, Yarmouth let in an equaliser against the run of play. A corner was headed in by substitute Hughes, who had only been on the pitch for six minutes
With only 20 minutes for either side to find a winner, both teams were constantly on the attack. Walsham began the frantic period when Brame's shot was parried behind for a corner. From it, Yarmouth cleared and broke, with Spooner firing a shot over the bar from 18 yards.
But Yarmouth could have wrapped up the game in the final five minutes. Woodcock's shot from the edge of the box was spilled into Spooner, who hit his rebound off the near post from a yard out. Two minutes later Spooner volleyed Woodcock's deep cross towards the top corner but it was parried away for a corner. Despite both team's efforts, the game fell into extra time where tiredness became a major factor.
Yarmouth thought they had the goal they needed when after five minutes Roscoe's ball found Spooner who slipped the ball under the goalkeeper, failing to spot a raised flag in the process.
Instead a Walsham free kick from the left side was poked in at the far post by Hughes.
Tiredness became much more of a factor in the second half of extra time, with both teams only able to create one meaningful chance. Yarmouth's came first when Woodcock's shot was deflected for a corner.
From the corner Walsham cleared and broke. With many Yarmouth players attacking the corner, Titham was allowed to tap in Brame's cut back at the far post.
• Yarmouth (5-2-1-2): J Greygoose; A Ager (C), J Page, S Bartley; F Vide, J Clark (S Steer, 106); G Barnden, J Miller; G Spooner; L Roscoe (S MacLeod, 108), S Woodcock. Unused Subs: S Addy
Yellow Cards: Ager 41; Woodcock 89; Miller 103
Goals: Woodcock 15; Spooner 60
• Walsham (4-4-2): D McAnally; M Morton (J Taylor, 115), B Soanes, T Newman, J Lambert; S Diaper (P Musgrove, 84), L Sim, C Skipp, J Brame; J Taitham (C), J Churchill (O Hughes, 64). Unused Subs: C Robinson, T Fenner
Yellow Cards: Morton 98, Musgrove 110
Goals: Diaper 6; Hughes 70, 109; Titham 114