Video: United Counties League Cup quarter-final: King’s Lynn Town 5, Cogenhoe United 3

Captain Ross Watson bagged a brace to help King's Lynn Town reach the United Counties League Cup semi-finals with a 5-3 win over Cogenhoe United today.

Defender Watson's double and a goal from Jack Defty had given Lynn a 3-1 half-time lead during an exciting quarter-final tie at The Walks. Danny White's 30-yard rocket and an own goal from Curtis Avery secured the Linnets' win in a match where both teams - who defended poorly at times - looked dangerous going forward.

Gary Setchell once again kept faith with back-up keeper Matthew Hails who has started all of Lynn's league cup games this season. Watson continued his return from injury while Jordan Yong and Steve Spriggs both shook off back problems to play.

Luke Thurlbourne missed out through illness but his brother Jamie recovered from his own bout of flu to start.

Cogenhoe had the game's first half chance when Alfie Taylor fizzed an effort over the bar from the edge of the box in the 10th minute. Rob Hughes pulled Lynn's first effort wide but quickly helped his side take the lead in the 13th minute.

He touched the ball to Spriggs whose mis-hit shot was headed home by Defty from close range.

Lynn were forced to make a change - with Ashley Deeney replacing Stuart Wall - but it didn't interrupt their flow and Thurlbourne should have doubled his side's advantage when he was found unmarked on the edge of the box but skewed horribly wide.

Most Read

Karl Bates equalised for Cogenhoe in the 20th minute after capitalising on a poor clearance from Hails but Lynn continued to look dangerous with the excellent Thurlbourne at the heart of much of his side's most promising work.

His in-swinging corner caused panic in the Cooks' defence just after the hour mark and Watson capitalised by firing home to put Lynn back in front.

The pair linked up again four minutes later when Watson - who somehow found himself forward during open play - rose majestically to nod another cracking Thurlbourne centre home to double Lynn's lead.

Josh Vequary almost immediately reduced the deficit when he headed against the bar after Hails had come for a cross but failed to collect it.

The visitors did pull a goal back five minutes after the restart when Alfie Taylor finished impressively from the edge of the box as both sides continued to pose genuine goal-scoring threats going forward.

Defty pulled a header wide, from another superb Thurlbourne centre, before White's 30-yard cracker restored Lynn's two-goal cushion.

Chances continued to be created at both ends and poor marking from Lynn allowed Bob Bushell to give his side a glimmer of hope to make it 4-3 with about 15 minutes left.

However, any hopes of a fightback were ended when his centre-back partner Avery also got his name on the scoresheet - by turning into his own net.

White's effort was goalbound anyway but Avery applied the finishing touch to end the day's goalscoring.

Substitute Liam Harrold almost added a sixth for Lynn but he fired his effort - on the rebound - into the side netting from a tight angle in the final few minutes.

• King's Lynn: Hails, Watson, Yong, Fryatt, Wall (Deeney, 13), Hughes, Spriggs (Harris, 53), White, Defty (Harrold, 60), Beaumont, Thurlbourne. Subs not used: Buhlemann and Street

• Cogenhoe: Love, Vequary (Gillingwater, 66), Lukeman (Leslie 61), McGowan, Avery, Bushell, Gearing, Ainge, Bates, Taylor, Herbert (Heavey, 58), Subs not used: Leah

• Bookings: King's Lynn: Deeney, Watson, Ainge. Cogenhoe: McGowan, Avery

• Attendance: 423