Video: Relive Dereham Town’s latest dramatic FA Cup penalty shoot-out heroics
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Dereham Town progressed to the next round of the FA Cup last night after beating St Neots 4-2 on penalties at Aldiss Park.
After a low-key opening period the Magpies started the second half well with three corners in quick succession.
However, just past the hour mark, St Neots were ahead, as Matthew Nolan found the net with a glancing header. The hosts responded well with Abbey having to keep out Craig Bussens and Toby Hilliard in quick succession as Dereham looked for a way back into the game.
The Magpies felt they were denied the chance of an equalising goal after the referee waved away appeals for obstruction on the goalline, following a frantic goalmouth scramble.
Tempers began to fray late on with the Magpies' frustration starting to show, as they felt the visitors' goal scorer Nolan should have been sent off for a second bookable offence, after a foul on Frazer Blake-Tracy.
You may also want to watch:
Into added on time and Matt Henman's side finally had something to show for their hard work, as Luke Tuttle converted from the penalty spot to draw the hosts level. Minutes later Jay Eastoe-Smith almost put Dereham through but the scoreline stayed level as the game entered extra time.
After 120 minutes there was nothing to separate the two sides and the Magpies came out on top in a penalty shoot-out, as they had done against St Ives in the previous round, with Andrew Wilton the hero of the night again after saving two penalties.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 3 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 4 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
Dereham: Wilton, Willis, Blake-Tracy, Hockley (Bailey 70), Howard, Eastoe-Smith, Borrer, Clunan, Tuttle, Hilliard, Bussens (Hawkins 70) Subs not used: Kay, Mason, Powley. Attendance: 267.
* Report by Ed Colman