Video: Joint-boss Creasey on Wisbech Town’s FA Vase heartache at Sholing
- Credit: IAN BURT
A heartbroken Dick Creasey cursed the fine margins which saw Wisbech Town's FA Vase dream come to an end on Saturday.
The Fenmen lost their quarter-final 1-0 at Sholing despite bossing the huge last-eight tie for large periods. Callum Reed came close to finding an equaliser on two occasions but both of his fine efforts struck the woodwork, much to the pain of the Fenmen's joint-boss.
Creasey said: 'I'm gutted because I think overall we dominated the game, certainly the last 45 minutes. Our keeper (Carl Mackney) has had nothing to do. We've made one silly mistake first half, let them in, and we've paid for that.
'As you know we've hit the post, we've hit the bar but unfortunately it just wasn't our day. Obviously the lads and everyone are really, really disappointed.'
Lee Wort's strike was all it took for Wisbech's hopes of reaching a Wembley final to be extinguished for another year. And Creasey praised the Southampton-based side's excellent defending which helped them soak up plenty of second-half pressure.
You may also want to watch:
'If you look at their record I think they've only let 16 in their season, and that's probably why,' said the Town chief.
'Their keeper (Matt Brown) again was excellent for them. We just probably lacked that little bit of pace which we had and we lost in TJ (Tom James moving to Australia), and it was a disappointing thing we weren't able to replace him with somebody with a little bit of pace.
- 1 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 2 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 3 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 4 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 5 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 6 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops dream project
- 7 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 8 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 9 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 10 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
'But I can't take anything way from the lads. They gave us everything. We just weren't able to get over the line.'
* Video filmed and edited by photographer Ian Burt.
- To read a match report from Saturday's game, and see more pictures, click here.