Video: Evo-Stik Division One South: King’s Lynn Town 7, Mickleover Sports 0

Lynn continued to turn up the title heat by moving to within one point of stuttering league leaders Coalville Town.

Goals from Dan Jacob, Russell Dunkley, Steve Spriggs and braces from Sam Mulready and Danny Beaumont completed a comfortable win for the second-placed Linnets who are now unbeaten in a phenomenal 15 league games.

And with the Ravens, who have played a match less than The Walks outfit, losing 3-0 at Northwich Victoria, rampant Lynn's promotion hopes now look certain to focus on a championship challenge rather than a play-off push going into the latter stages of the season.

Mickleover arrived in Norfolk on the back of a miserable run which had seen them go 11 matches without a win. Their form was in stark contrast to high-flying Lynn who many, if not everybody, expected to see their sensational spell in 2013 continue come 3pm.

Perhaps with one eye on Monday's visit to fellow top-five outfit Stamford, Gary Setchell made four changes to the team that beat Kidsgrove Athletic 3-1 at home on Tuesday night.

You may also want to watch:

Phil Gulliver, James Jepson, Shane Tolley and top goalscorer Spriggs all dropped to the substitutes' bench. In came Ryan Fryatt, Beaumont, Dunkley and Mulready. Captain Richard Bunting missed out all together again as his niggling groin problem continued to trouble him.

It was the hosts who started the slightly better, without really working an opening in front of Sports' goal. So it was something of a surprise when the strugglers from Derbyshire carved out the first genuine chance.

Most Read

Kevin Grocott slipped in Alex Steadman, who beat the offside trap with a perfectly-timed run, but Danny Gay diverted the ball just wide.

His save was rewarded just five minutes later when Beaumont's exquisite delivery from the right flank was headed home by the in-form and impressive new boy Jacob at the back post.

Dan Quigley nearly doubled the Linnets lead but his shot was blocked before the lively Mulready went close with a sensational half volley. However, he didn't have to wait long to get his name on the scoresheet when he was played in by Dunkley and slotted home, at the second time of asking, following a decent save from Joe McCormack.

Setchell's in-form troops were making things look easy. George Thomson was spreading the ball around from the middle of the park while Beaumont was whipping in delicious crosses in place of Spriggs on the right flank.

It was comfortable, controlled and impressive stuff from the rampant Evo-Stik club. And had Dunkley's cross found the top corner, rather than the upright, it would have been 3-0 just after 30 minutes – such was Lynn's dominance.

Some sweeping moves saw the two goalscorers go close again, with Jacob passing an effort at McCormack and Mulready unselfishly trying to square the ball to Dunkley when he could have shot.

Thomson tried to bend an effort home just before the break, following more outstanding work from Beaumont, but he just missed the target. It meant Lynn took a deserved two-goal lead, which could have been more, into the break. And as news filtered through that Coalville were losing by the same scoreline at Northwich Victoria, the half-time atmosphere was a buoyant one.

That happy mood continued when Lynn's Fryatt sliced a dangerous Martin Smythe delivery towards his own goal – and it just cleared the bar. In the end it turned out to be a decent clearance.

The game slowed until the next major clearance, in the 63rd minute, wasn't quite as good and made it 3-0. McCormack, being charged down, dallied and belted the ball into Dunkley as he tried to play the ball forward. It hit the striker known as The Beast and flew into the net.

Two minutes later, another shot whizzed into the Sports net, this time from the impressive Beaumont. The ex-Dereham Town startlet smashed the ball home, off the underside of the bar, to round off a delightful passing move.

It was that man again in thick of the action again as Setchell's rampant man went in search of a fifth. Yet, this time, Mulready headed wide of the post.

Spriggs completed the rout when he finished off a lovely move involving Ross Watson and Tolley to seal a performance that had drawn plenty of ole's from the home faithful. It was exhibition stuff at times in the second half.

Mulready put the icing on the cake with his second, and the hosts' sixth, when he lobbed McCormack with a cushioned volley from 25 yards to the delight of those supporting the men in yellow. He played in Beaumont to add his second, and Lynn's seventh in injury time.

And his goal was just about that for the remainder of the clash as Lynn closed out another triumph – and their fifth clean sheet in seven matches – to turn up the ante on Coalville once again.

Lynn: Gay, Watson, Fryatt, Lee, Yong, Beaumont, Quigley (Jepson, 57), Thomson, Jacob (Tolley, 67), Dunkley (Spriggs, 67), Mulready. Subs not used: Gulliver, Butt. Goals: Jacob (17), Mulready (23, 88), Dunkley (63), Beaumont (65, 90+1), Spriggs (81).

Mickleover: McCormack, Smythe, Conkleton, Grocott, Berry, Wood, Webster (Hind, 61), Williams (Farthing, 50), Benger (Ritchie-Smith 82), Steadman, Sharpe. Subs not used: Pheasant, Guy. Booked: Grocott.

Referee: S. Meale

Attendance: 609

- Video highlights supplied by King's Lynn Town Football Club.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter