Victoria Williamson in Great Britain team for European Track Cycling Championships
- Credit: PA
Norfolk's Victoria Williamson has been named in a 20-strong Great Britain team for the European Track Cycling Championships, alongside star names including Sir Bradley Wiggins and Laura Trott.
The event is being held in Grenchen, Switzerland, between October 14 and 18. The 22-year-old, originally from Hevingham, won silver in the team sprint and bronze in the sprint at the Under-23 European Track Championships in Greece in July.
Ed Clancy misses the championships through injury, while Becky James is rested as she continues her comeback following a long-term knee injury.
Great Britain Cycling Team technical director, Shane Sutton, said: 'We've selected a strong squad for this year's European Championships. With the Olympic Games in Rio now less than a year away it's a great opportunity to secure some vital qualifying points.
'We saw some really promising performances at the British Cycling National Track Championships and the Europeans provide a good chance to put the talent out there and pit themselves against the best in the world.
You may also want to watch:
'Having Bradley Wiggins there for the whole squad is a plus. If you want to go into big battles, you need big leaders and Brad is a big leader. He's won the Tour, he's won everything in cycling so it's good for the squad he is going.'
Great Britain Cycling Team for the UEC European Track Cycling Championships: Laura Trott, Katie Archibald, Joanna Rowsell-Shand, Elinor Barker, Ciara Horne, Katy Marchant, Vicky Williamson, Jess Varnish, Philip Hindes, Matt Crampton, Jason Kenny, Lewis Oliva, Sir Bradley Wiggins, Owain Doull, Steven Burke, Andy Tennant, Matt Gibson, Chris Latham, Ollie Wood, Jon Dibben.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 3 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 4 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 5 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 6 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 7 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 8 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 9 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 10 Norfolk lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named