Vauxhall Mallards’ Olly Stone helps England Under-19s recover in South Africa
- Credit: Archant copyright 2011
New England Under-19s captain Olly Stone helped his side recover from a poor start to reach a position of strength on the opening day of the first Youth Test against South Africa in Cape Town.
Former Thorpe St Andrew High School pupil Stone, who was promoted to lead the side on Friday following an injury to skipper Shiv Thakor, featured in a seventh wicket stand of 60 with Worcestershire's Ed Barnard, who finished the day unbeaten on 107. Barnard came to the crease with England on 89 for five after they had lost the toss at the famous Newlands ground.
Along with wicketkeeper Callum Taylor, he launched the fightback as the pair added 63 for the sixth wicket. Taylor's dismissal for 43 brought Northamptonshire player Stone – who lives in Brundall and plays club cricket for Vauxhall Mallards – to the crease.
Stone and Barnard saw England through to tea at 168 for six and after the interval they continued to steer the tourists out of trouble.
Having made 29 from 81 balls, including three fours, Stone played on to Shaylin Pillay with the score on 212. But South Africa were frustrated further by Barnard – who went on to complete his century, from 158 balls, in the 93rd over – and Miles Hammond (17no) as England reached the close on 277 for seven.
You may also want to watch:
Opening bowler Lizaad Williams was the most successful South African bowler, claiming four for 61 from his 23 overs. He helped reduce England to 14 for three in the fifth over as Jonathan Tattersall was caught behind for two and Harry Finch was trapped lbw for nine, both after Dominic Sibley fell to Craig Kirsten for a second ball duck. Kirsten later left the field with a stress fracture of the lower back, an injury which could rule him out for two months.
The four-day Test resumes today at 8am GMT.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 6 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 7 Old Buckenham Airshow going ahead as planned this weekend
- 8 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 9 Firefighters tackling smoking car after crash near pub
- 10 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
South Africa Under 19 v England Under 19
Cape Town: South Africa Under 19 Won Toss
England Under 19 First Innings Close
J A Tattersall c Fortuin b Williams 2
D P Sibley c Rosier b Kirsten 0
H Z Finch lbw b Williams 9
B M Duckett c Fortuin b Moore 13
K S Velani b Williams 49
C F Jackson b Williams 43
E Barnard not out 107
O P Stone b Pillay 29
M A H Hammond not out 17
Extras b1 lb4 w2 nb1 8
Total 7 wkts (99 overs) 277
Fall: 1-2 2-6 3-14 4-48 5-89 6-152 7-212
Bowling: Williams 23-2-61-4, Kirsten 4-1-12-1, Moore 22-5-68-1, Pillay 20-4-57-1, Fassen 17-3-44-0, Orros 12-4-29-0, Rosier 1-0-1-0