Upsets in Ben Smith Memorial Cup and Dick Davey Ambulance Cup

The league programme was dominated by matches in the fourth round of the Ben Smith Memorial Cup and the first round of the Dick Davey Ambulance Cup. In the Ben Smith Memorial Cup, the biggest upset was caused by Litcham from Division Four who entertained First Division Thetford Rovers Reserves, held them to a goalless draw at the end of extra time and then beat them 5-4 on penalties.

All the other matches between teams from different divisions went according to league status. There were three successes for other First Division teams - Morley Village won by the odd goal of five at Bawdeswell, Shropham United turned in an impressive 6-0 win over Necton, having only led 1-0 at half-time and Feltwell United won 2-1 at West End.

In the all second Division clash, Nostro won 4-3 on penalties after a high scoring 5-5 draw with Sporle. Two teams from Division Three also reached the last eight. Mulbarton Wanderers Reserves beat Scarning United 2-1 while Wendling progressed at the expense of Methwold Rovers with the only goal of the game.

The Dick Davey Ambulance Cup produced the biggest upset of the day with Shipdham Reserves, one place above bottom spot in Division Four, winning 2-1 at Gressenhall from Division One. Another First Division scalp was obtained by North Elmham who netted eight times without reply from Dereham Town A. In an all First Division match, Tacolneston came out on top of Shipdham winning 3-0. Other First Division winners were Swaffham Town A who had a comfortable 8-1 win at Colkirk, Northwold S&SC who won 5-2 at home to Hethersett Athletic and Rockland United who beat Methwold Rovers 3-1 on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

Hingham Athletic Reserves enjoyed a good 8-2 win at Cockers, North Elmham Reserves ran out 4-2 winners at Great Cressingham and Mattishall A beat Gressenhall Reserves 2-0. In a local derby, Saham Toney Reserves beat Watton United A 3-0 while Tacolneston Reserves ran out 7-2 home winners over Methwold United and Marham Wanderers won 6-4 at Tugas United after extra time.

You may also want to watch:

There was only one match in Division Two but it was enough to take Castle Acre Swifts to the top of the table after they had beaten Breckland Wanderers 5-0. The one match in Division Three saw Stoke Ferry beat bottom team Narborough Reserves 6-1.

Yaxham Reserves are the new leaders of Division Four following their 3-1 win at Nostro Reserves. Weasenham Wanderers won 5-2 at Castle Acre Swifts Reserves, Beetley United beat Dereham Cockers United 4-0 and Walsingham United and Shropham United Reserves took a point each from a 3-3 draw.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter