Update: King’s Lynn Young Stars’ National League Shield opener against Cradley Heathens postponed
- Credit: IAN BURT
The King's Lynn Young Stars were meant to open their 2014 season tonight at home to last year's champions Cradley Heathens in the first leg of the National League Shield – but the meeting has been postponed.
Last term the Norfolk outfit's second string just missed out on the league title against the Heathens. But the second place finish has given them a spot in the 2014 NL Shield – speedway's equivalent of football's community shield. This evening the Young Stars were meant to be attempting to build a healthy lead ahead of the second leg at Monmore Green on April 8. But the fixture has fallen foul of the wet weather in Lynn.
A club statement said: 'Unfortunately due to inclement weather at the Norfolk Arena, tonight's National League Shield fixture between the King's Lynn 'Fusion Clothing' Young Stars and Cradley Heathens has been postponed. A rescheduled date will be confirmed at a later date.'
The Stars have taken on a new look this term with just two riders returning to the club from last season. Lewis Rose, who will also ride at reserve for the club's senior side along ex-Young Star Lewis Kerr, will take on the number one role while Darren Mallett continues as club captain and will ride at number two.
Injury hit James Cockle in 2013, but he is now fully recovered and will ride at number three with new signing Darryl Ritchings featuring at number four. Kyle Hughes will start the season with the number five race jacket while at reserve the Young Stars will have promising talent Josh Bailey and former club rider Scott Campos.
You may also want to watch:
Ahead of the meeting Young Stars team manager Dale Allitt had said: 'Our first meeting of the season is just days away and I am really looking forward to it. We have some great young talent in the team with a mix of experience which I am sure will prove to be a good combination.
'As always we need the fans to come and show us their fantastic support as we attempt to go one better than we did last year as we just missed out on the title.'
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 3 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 6 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 7 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 8 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 9 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 10 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops dream project
Teenager Robert Lambert will also not be riding for the Young Stars in 2014 after landing a prized slot with Rob Lyon's senior side.
Gates at the Norfolk Arena open from 6pm, with racing getting underway from 7:30pm. Admission Prices: Adults £10, Concessions: £8, Juniors (12-15): £4, under-11s: FREE.
1. Lewis Rose, 2. Darren Mallett, 3. James Cockle, 4. Darryl Ritchings, 5. Kyle Hughes, 6. Josh Bailey, 7. Scott Campos
1. Joe Jacobs (G), 2. Nathan Greaves, 3. Tom Perry, 4. Max Clegg, 5. Steve Worrall, 6. Matt Williamson, 7. Danny Phillips