Up-and-coming talent gets chance to impress county coaches
A new open day to unearth talented boy golfers with the potential to play for the county attracted more than 50 youngsters to The Norfolk.
'The day appears to have been very successful,' said Norfolk junior organiser Alan Hill, who paid tribute to the Norfolk for hosting the event and to the County Golf Partnership for supporting and funding the initiative.
The youngsters met two of the Norfolk coaching professionals, Chris Potter and Nick Catchpole, as well as Mike Green, the U18 manager, Garry Davis, the U16 manager and Norman Blanch, the junior secretary.
The first session attracted 25 boys aged from seven to 13, who took skill tests, including coaching in bunkers, putting and long game, and played a competition on the par three course.
Parents were also invited to take advantage of the coaching and five fathers took part.
You may also want to watch:
The winners of each group were: Group One: 1 Jack Cullington (Bawburgh), 2 Warren Bates (Searles, Hunstanton). Group Two: 1 Macsen Heath (King's Lynn), 2 Kaleb Heath (King's Lynn). Group Three: 1 Taylor Davis (Costessey Park), 2 Jack Bambridge (Richmond Park).
In the afternoon 30 boys, ranging from 14 to 17, undertook putting and chipping skill tests and a seven hole competition on the course.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 4 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 5 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 6 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 7 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 8 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 9 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach
The competition was conducted over the two halves of the course and the winners of each group were:
• Front nine: Team: Taylor Davis (Costessey Park), George Anthony (Barnham Broom), Hugo Knights (Eaton). Individual: 1 Hugo Knights (Eaton), 2 Ryan Thorogood (Dereham), 3 Bradley Smith (Fakenham).
• Back Nine: Team: Dan Springall (Costessey Park), Simon Stevens (Dunston Hall), Alistair Brewin (Mundesley).
• Individual: 1 Harry Judd (Eaton), 2 Joe Annison (Mundesley), 3 Simon Stevens (Dunston Hall), 4 Josh Bartlett (Barnham Broom).