United Counties Premier Division: Thrapston Town 0, King’s Lynn Town 4
Wing-wizard Jamie Thurlbourne bagged a brace as rampant Lynn destroyed a Thrapston Town side who were lucky the scoreline wasn't more emphatic.
Setchell's outfit laid siege to the host's goal, creating countless chances as they threatened to rack up a cricket score. Only a mix of inspired keeping from Dan Waters and poor finishing kept the score relatively respectable.
Substitute Danny Beaumont added a third and impressive debutant Jason Turner grabbed a fine fourth to put the gloss on a dominant Lynn display.
Defender Stuart Wall and striker Jack Defty passed late fitness tests to start for Lynn while keeper Alex Street replaced Matt Hails in goal. Luke Thurlbourne replaced Steve Spriggs, who dropped to the bench, while Beaumont made way for Turner to make his first start for Lynn.
Dan Buhlemann and Liam Harrold didn't make the squad for the Linnets' first-ever league visit to Thrapston.
Lynn took the lead inside a minute as Jamie Thurlbourne caught Waters off guard with a bit of quick thinking – intercepting a poor clearance and whipping a first-time effort into an empty net.
The flying winger continued to tear Thrapston apart in the opening stages and his fine cross was headed against the bar by Danny White at the far post.
- 1 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 2 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 3 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
- 4 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 5 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 6 Couple who transformed old mill into unique new home put it up for sale
- 7 John Bailey: Lord Botham, our cricketing angler/conservationist
- 8 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
- 9 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 10 Protests planned against soaring fuel prices
Full-backs Ross Watson and Jordan Yong both went close before Thurlbourne bagged his second – smashing home White's cross from close range.
Defty and Ryan Fryatt went close with headers before neat interplay between Turner and Jamie Thurlbourne saw the latter nearly bag his hat-trick, his cross drifting just wide.
Waters pulled off another two decent saves from White to stop Lynn, who could and should have been at least six up at half-time.
Turner continued to impress with his movement, strength and expert first touch, but it was substitute Beaumont who made it 3-0 on the hour when his in-swinging free-kick eluded everyone.
Thurlbourne was taken off as Setchell kept one eye on Saturday's clash at Newport Pagnell Town. Lynn's pressure eased slightly as the game wore on but Thrapston only troubled Street once with a weak effort from Morgan.
Turner rounded off a fine debut by grabbing the goal he deserved in the 85th minute as he volleyed Robbie Harris' cross home from the edge of the box.
• King's Lynn: Street, Watson, Fryatt, Wall, Yong, White, Hughes, L.Thurlbourne (Spriggs, 58), J.Thurlbourne (Harris, 70), Defty (Beaumont, 50), Turner. Subs not used: Hails and Deeney. Bookings: Hughes.
• Thrapston: Waters, Carter, Mortimer, Ekins, Gotch, Harris, Russell, Fowler, Morgan, Mitchell, Wells (Morgan, 68). Subs not used: Chubb, Caller, Le Masiuer. Bookings: Fowler, Russell
• Attendance: 162
• Referee: W Chalmers