United Counties Premier Division: Irchester United, 0 King’s Lynn Town 5
A five-star performance from King's Lynn Town at Irchester United tonight saw their United Counties Premier Division title hopes boosted by a 5-0 win while rivals Long Buckby lost 3-1 at home to Newport Pagnell Town.
Goals from Jack Defty, Jason Turner, Ross Watson, Jamie Thurlbourne and Danny Beaumont helped extend Lynn's lead at the top of the table to 10 points - with Buckby having played three games less.
Gary Setchell made three changes from the side that snuck a 1-0 win at AFC Kempston Rovers on Saturday. Ashley Deeney dropped to the bench, as did Steve Spriggs and Luke Thurlbourne. They were replaced by Dan Buhlemann, Ryan Fryatt and Rob Hughes.
Second-from-bottom Irchester started well with the Linnets looking uncharacteristically nervous in the early stages. But despite their shaky start Setchell's side took the lead in the 12th minute when Danny Beaumont returned a cleared corner and Defty swept the ball home from close range.
Turner grabbed Lynn's second when he lashed home Beaumont's fine cross on the run home from close range in the 33rd minute before Watson leaped highest to head home a Thurlbourne corner on the stroke of half time to give his side a commanding lead at the break.
You may also want to watch:
Thurlbourne chipped Irchester keeper Harry Allington from 35 yards to put the Linnets 4-0 up and it was another great goal - this time from 25 yards - that put Setchell's side 5-0 up in the 59th minute when Beaumont smashed the ball home.
The Linnets missed a host of other chances to heap more misery on struggling Irchester with Thurlbourne missing from the penalty spot - as he looked to double his account for the night - after the had blown up for a handball.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 3 Man seriously injured after crash
- 4 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 5 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 6 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 7 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 8 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 9 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 10 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
• King's Lynn: Street, Watson (Deeney, 53), Fryatt, Wall, Buhlemann, Beaumont, White (L.Thurlbourne, 62), Hughes, J.Thurlbourne, Defty (Spriggs, 58) and Turner
Subs not used: Hails and Ward
• Goals: Defty (12), Turner (33), Watson (45), J.Thurlbourne (53), Beaumont (59)
• Irchester: Allington, Dorrington, Wills, Marlow, White, Smith (Gell, 81), Reid, Bright, C.Lawman, Mellville (Whitney, 64) and D.Lawman
Subs not used: Gell, Lawrence, McGuire and Casey
• Referee: P. Evans
• Attendance: 200