United Counties League Knockout Cup preliminary round: Wisbech Town 4, Northampton O.N Chenecks 1
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town progressed to the first round of the United Counties League Knockout Cup with a 3-1 win over Division One opponents Northampton O.N. Chenecks at the Elgood's Fenland Stadium on Saturday.
New signing Kieron Doherty started in central midfield in place of the absent Steven Reid, while Gary Gibbs made his home debut up front. Another new face, striker Jack Smith, was on the bench.
The Fenmen dominated possession for much of the first half but couldn't find the net despite creating some good chances, notably a Tom James effort which sailed over the 'keeper's head but went wide of the goal.
With so much possession for the home side it was somewhat of a surprise when the visitors took the lead on 41 minutes. Justin McKenzie capitalised on a defensive error after the ball had been given away in a dangerous area to score from 10 yards.
The lead was very short-lived though as Gibbs scored from James' low cross just 90 seconds later, powering a right-footed shot though a crowd of legs.
You may also want to watch:
Two minutes after the break, James picked up Scott Johnson's ball over the top, cut inside his marker on the edge of the penalty area and hit a low drive which beat the 'keeper on his right hand side to give the Fenmen the lead.
On 55 minutes, Matt Lunn latched onto James' flick on, ran through and slotted the ball past the advancing 'keeper to make it 3-1. The final goal on 85 minutes was the pick of the bunch as James played a one-two with Lunn before hitting a lovely 20-yard curling shot from the side of the box which stuck the inside of the far post and dropped behind the line.
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
The Premier Division Fenmen's reward for winning is a home tie against another Division One side, Eynesbury Rovers.
Wisbech Town: Jordan, Butt, Johnson, Spafford ©, Gale, White, C. Reed, Doherty (Green 82), Gibbs (Smith 70), Lunn, James. Subs (not used): Cousins, Clayton