United Counties League Cup semi-final: King’s Lynn Town 7, Peterborough Northern Star 0
King's Lynn Town kept their dream of doing the double alive by hammering Peterborough Northern Star tonight to breeze into the United Counties League Cup final.
Jack Defty put Lynn in front in the third minute when he dispatched Robbie Harris' cross before the latter set up the second in the 12th minute when his miscued shot was slotted home by Danny Beaumont.
Defty bagged his second in the 57th minute when he latched onto Luke Thurlbourne's fine through ball and followed up his own effort on the rebound to score. He nearly got his hat-trick in the 67th-minute but Ross Watson got the faintest of touches to his header to put Lynn 4-0 up.
Watson - playing in an unusual holding midfield role - scored a lob from fully 30 yards to make it 5-0 and Defty grabbed his hat-trick in the 86th minute when he headed home Beaumont's cross.
Youngster Ciaran Beales put the icing on the cake when he scored his first senior goal for Lynn in injury time to complete the rout as PNS - who had Jack Raynor sent off in the closing stages - fell apart.
King's Lynn: Hails, Deeney (Ward, 68), Fryatt, Watson, Yong, Beaumont, Buhlemann, L Thurlbourne (Coe, 60), White, Defty, Harris (Beales, 68). Subs not used: Street, J Thurlbourne. Booked: L Thurlbourne. Goals: Defty (3, 57, 86), Beaumont (12). Watson (67, 81), Beales (90)
- 1 Mysterious 'large black animal' spotted roaming in fields near city
- 2 Rare sighting of Northern Lights captured above Norfolk
- 3 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 4 City pub to reopen with new owners hoping to bring back 'good old days'
- 5 Firefighters battling forest blaze near Sandringham
- 6 Two women in hospital with serious injuries after A47 slip road crash
- 7 New planning bid to re-use long-empty pub
- 8 Organisers of Norfolk festival 'gutted' after cancelling due to fire risk
- 9 Coastguard hunt for missing woman in early morning search
- 10 Dental woes worsen as town's troubled surgery closes permanently
Peterborough NS: McShane, Cook, Medwynter (Raynor, 64), Dean, Cox, Morris, Nyang (Graham, 64), Hook, Gibbs, Stead (Staffieri, 71), Vieira. Subs not used: Glover. Sent off: Raynor
Referee: S Barry Attendance: 367