Tymal Mills ready to show off his lightning pace during England debut
- Credit: PA
He may be set to make his senior England debut in a Twenty20 clash with Sri Lanka tonight – but Brandon bowling star Tymal Mills is far from nervous about stepping onto the big stage.
Quite the opposite in fact. It's the chance the lightning-quick left-armer has been desperate for ever since a rare genetic spinal problem forced him to retire from first-class cricket last year.
The 23-year-old former Mildenhall College pupil is now focused on becoming a T20 specialist, playing for England Lions in a T20 series against Pakistan A in Dubai and taking part in an England fast bowling camp in South Africa over the winter.
That has paid off with good form for Sussex in the Natwest T20 Blast this season – including a high-profile 93.3mph yorker which skittled West Indies star Chris Gayle.
'I've had a good year so far so I'm just looking forward to this, I'm not nervous, I'm excited to get out there and have a good crack,' Mills said ahead of tonight's match at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton (6.30pm start).
'It's a one-off game and it's a good chance for me to get out there and show what I can do. The series is already won but every game you play in, you go out to win it.'
You may also want to watch:
Mills played football for Thetford Town and Brandon Lads before picking up cricket at the age of 14 and learning the ropes at Mildenhall CC and Tuddenham CC. Now he hopes to prove himself as an international cricketer.
'This is where I want to be,' Mills added. 'So I can see where I'm at, have a good crack and if I can do well then hopefully it can open some doors for me.'
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 6 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 7 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 8 Old Buckenham Airshow going ahead as planned this weekend
- 9 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 10 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry