Tuttle helps Dereham go three points clear at top of Thurlow Nunn league

Dereham and Gorleston were grateful to be playing away as they both picked up victories on a day when no Premier Division games went ahead in Norfolk.

With title rivals Brantham's game at Norwich United postponed, Dereham moved three points clear at the top by winning their game in hand on their Suffolk rivals, 3-1 at fellow challengers Mildenhall.

On a heavy pitch at Mildenhall, Dereham took the lead on 23 minutes when Luke Tuttle's clever reverse pass released Adam Smith and he slotted home.

Hall were back on level terms 11 minutes later when skipper Dave Wertmann headed in from a corner.

The home side pressed for a second, but were caught out by the visitors just before half-time. Dereham were awarded a free-kick 20 yards out for handball and Tuttle expertly fired into the top corner.

Dereham's Shaun Bammant had a strong appeal for a penalty turned down after he went over under a challenge in the area, while at the other end Andy Wilton then made an outstanding save to keep the scores level.

Dereham killed the game off with a late third when Bammant squared for substitute Ryan Hawkins to score.

Most Read

Gorleston moved up to fourth, seven points behind Dereham, with a 3-0 win at Haverhill as Christy Finch struck a hat-trick.

Finch decided the outcome with his treble in 15 first half minutes. His first arrived in the eighth minute when he latched onto a long ball from Joe Marsden to slot past the Haverhill keeper for his 20th goal of the season.

Six minutes later, Finch turned on the edge of the area and volleyed in his second.

And he completed his hat-trick midway through the first half when a high bounce deceived the Haverhill defence and the ball fell to Finch, who made no mistake.

Walsham-le-Willows kept up the pressure on Dereham as a 2-0 win at Hadleigh lifted them to second. Felixstowe & Walton beat Ely 2-0 and Stanway drew 1-1 with CRC.

In the First Division, Downham Town beat the weather to host bottom side Cornard – and went on to win 3-1.

Swaffham went ahead at leaders Cambridge University Press through Alex Vincent's 12th minute goal, but could not hold their advantage and slipped to a 2-1 defeat.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter