Triple signing boost for Fakenham
CHRIS LAKEY Fakenham Town have added one of local football's most experienced campaigners to their squad for the new season.
Fakenham Town have added one of local football's most experienced campaigners to their squad for the new season.
Steve Johnson, 33, will join the Ghosts for the Ridgeons First Division campaign, along with another ex-King's Lynn player, Simon Bush, and Stuart Jenkinson, who has signed from Diss.
Johnson is best known for his association with Wroxham, although he has had spells at Lynn and, more recently, Wisbech and, like Bush, is well known to joint manager Kevin Boon, a former manager at The Walks.
You may also want to watch:
Boon is delighted at his three most recent captures.
“Stuart Jenkinson is a fantastic player,” he said. “He played for us against Kirkley last week and they didn't know what had hit them. He can play either side of midfield and is up-and-down all match.
- 1 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 2 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 3 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 4 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 5 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
- 6 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 7 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 8 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 9 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 10 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
“And to get the others is a massive coup. We don't have a big budget, the players know that, but Steve Johnson said he loved the facilities and the training and was just playing for us for the love of the game.”
Johnson is adaptable as far as positions go, but Boon intends to play him in attack.
“He has a wealth of experience and if we need to move him for any reason we can do,” added Boon.
Boon once ripped up Bush's contract at Lynn - but by mutual agreement.
“He works in the construction business but we should be able to work around that,” Boon explained. “When he was at Lynn his contract had an agreement about his work and he just couldn't fit it all in so we ripped it up.”
The Ghosts have arranged a pre-season match with a Cambridge United XI for tonight, August 8 (7.30pm) at Clipbush Park, following the late call-off by Leiston of Saturday's planned game.