Trio of off-pitch arrivals as new era dawns for Thurlow Nunn League Fakenham Town

Fakenham Town are hoping for a bright future.

Fakenham Town are hoping for a bright future. - Credit: Archant

Fakenham Town have made three key appointments in order to drive the club forward, writes Tony Miles.

After an unsettling few months at Clipbush Park, Andrew Jarvis was announced as the Ghosts' new chairman on Tuesday evening. Joining him at vice-chairman level is Matt Hagon while former Norwich City manager Nigel Worthington has taken on the role of club ambassador.

Jarvis has put in a number of years of service both with the youth set-up and more recently as assistant manager for the ladies. His early rally cry was 'let's take the club forward together'.

Coming in as his understudy is Hagon, one of the more recent additions to the committee.

A club statement said: 'The Ghosts would like to welcome both Andrew and Matt to their new positions within the club, and hope that with the help of the committee the future of the club is bright.'

The arrival of Worthington will come as a surprise to many – and be seen as a huge coup no doubt.

Worthington began his managerial career with Blackpool and then went on to to spend almost six years in charge of Norwich City. The main highlight of his tenure was the end of the 2003/04 season, ensuring Norwich's promotion to the Premier League as Division One (Championship) champions in 2004.

Most Read

Later Worthington had a brief spell in charge of Leicester City where he preserved their Championship status, before he was confirmed as the new manager of Northern Ireland in June 2007. After stepping down in October 21, the 54-year-old returned to the dugout with York City in 2013 but resigned little more than a year-and-a-half later.

Fakenham's move to finally resolved their off-the-pitch issues came behind closed doors after they cancelled Tuesday's extraordinary general meeting.

A long-serving committee member of the Ghosts, whose senior side play in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division, called an EGM when chairman Bill Clayton announced he would be stepping down from his position with immediate effect for personal reasons.

At the time Fakenham were also without a vice-chairman and concerns were raised about the direction of the club and its prospects for the future.

But after three weeks, and numerous discussions, it was finally agreed late on Sunday that matters could be solved without the need for an open-to-the-public airing at Clipbush Park.

Instead, a regular committee meeting took place where appointments were made to fill the vacancies.

A club statement prior to the committee meeting said: 'The club would like to place on record their sincere thanks to Mr Clayton, who will revert back to his previously-held position as club president, for everything he has done for Fakenham Town FC.

'The Ghosts would like to take this opportunity to thank their supporters for their continued, and highly-valued support.'

Fakenham's first team have endured a difficult season with the returning Wayne Anderson becoming the third manager to try and pull the Ghosts clear of a deepening relegation battle.

The Ghosts, who didn't have a game on Saturday, return to action when they visit Swaffham Town tomorrow night.

They head into the match sitting second from bottom after Thetford Town climbed above them on goal difference as a result of Tuesday's 0-0 draw at Newmarket Town.

Both clubs are just one points from safety, namely fourth from bottom Walsham-le-Willows.