Tring Athletic 1, King's Lynn 5

Linnets went four up in the first half in this FA Cup first qualifying round.

Tring 1 King's Lynn 5 - FA Cup first qualifying round

The Linnets were playing their 207th post war FA Cup tie with their visit to the picturesque grass roots stadium at Tring.

The two clubs have never previously met in any competition although Lynn have played on the ground in a Southern League versus Aylsbury United, when the Ducks were ground sharing with the Hertfordshire club whilst their new ground was under construction.

Team news from the Linnets camp was that Mark Camm had failed a pre-match fitness test and Charlie Defty was given the number six shirt. Up front Alex Notman started instead of Matt Nolan to be partnered by Michael Frew. Young Sam Gaughran was given a place on the bench.

Tring won the toss and set Lynn to play down the slope. On the first minute Jack Defty found West whose cross was headed for a corner which was only half cleared to Smith, who played the ball back in to Jack Defty to be foiled by the Tring keeper.

Four minutes later the referee missed a blatant hand ball which allowed Gray a great early chance for the home side, but Marshall made the save.

Most Read

On 10 minutes Marshall was again brought into the action to make a good save from a strong shot from home centre forward Humphreys. Lynn replied with Jack Defty showing some good skills to set up Michael Frew whose shot was only just wide.

Smith O'Halloran and Frew combined to give Smith a shooting chance from a narrow angle but home goalkeeper White smothered the effort.

Lynn took the lead in the 16th minute when Smith on the halfway line passed to Charlie Defty, in turn found McMahon whose mis-hit shot allowed FREW to get in a low drive which defeated White from eight yards.

On 22 minutes O'Halloran robbed a complacent Tring full-back to fire in a hard drive which produced a fine save from White.

Tring replied and Marshall had to be alert to make the save and then block the rebound with his body.

From the clearance Lynn played a long ball out of defence which was missed by the home centre half allowing JACK DEFTY to lob the advancing keeper for Lynn's second goal.

On 28 minutes a patient Lynn build-up saw West fouled on the edge of the area as he was about to cross. From the free-kick curled in by Smith, Jack Defty's header was saved but ALEX NOTMAN followed up to score his first senior goal for the Linnets. Lynn's class was now beginning to tell.

On 34 minutes Ben Williams tried to retaliate for Tring but lifted his shot over the bar.

On 40 minutes another fine Lynn move involving Notman and Jack Defty who combined to set up Smith, but the full back dragged his shot wide. However Lynn were not to be denied for long as a fourth came three minutes later as Notman fed Jack Defty, who in turn picked out MATT O'Halloran with a measured pass, for the winger to score with a fine curling shot from 20-yards.

Last action of the half saw Cooper foul Duncan but Marshall made a good low save from Williams' free-kick.

Half-time: Tring Athletic 0, King's Lynn 4.

The second half began with Lynn bringing on Matt Nolan for Jack Defty. First real action saw Cooper find Nolan with a long ball who beat his defender and pulled a low cross back for a O'Halloran to shoot in from 15 yards. A minute later a fine cross field involving some six players almost brought another goal but White saved O'Halloran's efforts.

On 55 minutes West on the Lynn right found Notman who shot past to Nolan allowed the substitute a shooting chance but he put the ball wide.

Just on the hour another fine bout of Lynn inter passing allowed Copper to burst into Tring area but the centre half's delicate lob drifted just wide.

On 61 minutes Lynn brought on Luke Kennedy for Charlie Defty and four minutes later young Sam McGaughran for his first senior outing. By now Lynn were in total control and although creating chances almost at will were playing well within themselves.

For Lynn Smith burst through but when in sight of goal was brought back for a free kick as advantage failed to be played.

The full back took the kick but shot straight at White.

Five minutes later McMahon should have made it six after Nolan played him in but the midfielder poked his shot just wide.

Nolan himself was next to try but again but his finish left something to be desired. At the back young Sam McGaughran was making an impressive debut winning some good headers and distributing the ball well. He had to be alert to clean up when Cooper miscued his attempted clearance.

On 85 minutes Tring created a rear chance but when Duncan crossed from the left substitute Aldridge shot high over the bar from close range. Smith twice burst through for Lynn with 40 yard runs but on both occasions finished tamely.

Two minutes from the end Tring got a late consolation when Ben Williams was on hand to apply the final touch from a right wing move.

Lynn had totally dominated a rather one sided game, their class was apparent in all areas of the field and they looked forward to the draw to be made on Monday for the next round.

Attendance: 301

Final Score: Tring 1 King's Lynn 5

King's Lynn: Marshall, West, Smith, Warren, Cooper, C Defty, J Defty, McMahon, Notman, Frew, O'Halloran. Subs: Kennedy, Harvey, Fell, Gaughran and Nolan.

Tring: White, Lewis, Foskett, Martyn, Perry, Meehan, Williams, Nicholson, Humphreys, Gray, Duncan. Subs: Stedman, Aldridge, Hort, Gordan, Strange.