Track bonanza for Norfolk fans
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk hosts three big meetings over the holiday weekend.
The Adrian Flux Arena in King's Lynn plays hosts to two big Stock Car and Banger meetings, on Saturday and Monday, while Great Yarmouth has a four-Formula feast on Sunday
The Unlimited Bangers make their first appearance of the season proper at Lynn on Saturday (5.30pm) in their East Anglian Championship together with the 2L Stock Cars and 1300cc Stock Cars.
The annual Wacky Races take place on Monday, starting at 1pm, featuring the 4x4 Bangers, 2L Banger Crazy Races, Reliant Robins and the first appearance at King's Lynn of the Siamese Bangers.
The interest in the 2L Stock Cars will centre upon whether Norwich's world champion Simon Welton can win three finals in a row on the ultra competitive Lynn shaleway.
You may also want to watch:
It is a feat which has not been done for many years – but Welton is now just one race away from achieving it and should he manage to pull it off on Saturday he will receive an enhanced £500 winners purse.
Welton said: 'It's hard enough to win just one final at Lynn, let alone win two finals, let alone win a third final, whether you're the quickest car on the track or not.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 6 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 7 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 8 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 9 Two Norfolk care homes among the best in region
- 10 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
'Three races in a row without someone spinning out in front of you or a pile-up or something, it's just slim-to-nothing.'
It's evening racing for spectators at Great Yarmouth on Sunday (5.30pm), featuring the all-action Superstox, the wreck or win Bangers, a Yarmouth debut for the V8 Hot stox and, for the driving stars of the future, the Junior Rods.
The Superstox will be contesting round four of the Safari Landrover Engineering Series – it's also their 2017 East Anglian Championship to add spice to proceedings.
Defending champion Thetford's Jason Cooper will face stern opposition from sister Sarah among others.
The Bangers will be out in force for the £250 Destruction Derby. Steve Law, former world champion Gary Madgwick, Daniel Derbyshire, Daniel Sutton and Titch Mancini are all booked in to race.
Junior Rods will compete in round one of the Dolphin Travel Super Series.