Tough weekend for RAF Regular and Reserves Kawasaki team at Isle of Mann
- Credit: Archant
It proved to be a mixed weekend for the RAF Marham based RAF Regular and Reserves Kawasaki Team at the Isle of Mann TT.
In Saturday's six lap Superbike race Gary Johnson slotted into full race mode with a standing start lap of 129.710mph putting him straight into sixth place and just a fraction off the magical 130mph lap.
A second lap just missed it again and then it was time to pit for fuel and a fresh rear tyre at the end of lap two but he maintain his sixth place holding off Josh Brookes and Michael Rutter until he was forced to retire with problems at Sarah's Cottage on lap four. The race win went to Michael Dunlop with Manxman Conor Cummins second and James Hillier third.
On Monday Johnson had two races and the team were optimistic of a good result and in the first Supersport race held in the morning he soon settled into race pace on the RAF Regular and Reserves 675cc Triumph with a first lap of 125.375mph and seventh place just behind Cummins and ahead of Brookes. Johnson was involved in a battle for sixth place with Brookes going into the last lap but a yellow flag meant he had to slow down and he came home in an excellent seventh place to claim his first silver replica of the week. Dunlop took his second win with Dean Harrison second and the team's former rider Peter Hickman third.
With no time to enjoy the success of his Supersport race it was time for the Superstock race on the 1000cc Kawasaki and with a first lap at 129.862mph that 130mph lap was certainly looking to be on the cards as he crossed the line in eighth place but with another quick lap nearly over he ran out of fuel as he reached Hillberry and was forced to retire from the race. The race win went to Hickman, his first TT win.
You may also want to watch:
Johnson has three chances left now to add to his tally of TT victories and his best bet has to be the second Supersport race.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 3 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 8 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 9 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 10 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets