Tooting & Mitcham United 2, Lowestoft Town 1

Another indifferent performance saw Lowestoft fall to an odd goal of three defeat at Tooting & Mitcham United, giving their hosts their first home league win of the season.

With the injury crisis abating Lowestoft were able to recall Greg Crane and Lubo Guentchev to the starting line up.

Tooting & Mitcham's crisp short passing game caused Lowestoft troubles and having earned a seventh minute corner Charlie Stimson's flag kick saw Jay Lovett's header cleared off the line by Andrew Cave-Brown. Reece Hall then set Wade Small clear but he screwed his shot wide of the post.

Lowestoft came more into the game and Matt Nolan and Andrew Fisk set up a glorious chance for Joe Francis whose shot from 12 yards beat the keeper but rebounded out off the upright. Francis then returned the compliment to Nolan who was denied by a double save from Jack Giddens.

Both sides were guilty of missing some excellent chances with Sam Gaughran and Michael Frew heading wide for Lowestoft and Small again failing to hit the target with just Andy Reynolds to beat.

You may also want to watch:

Tooting took the lead in the 41st minute with Michael Noone's free-kick headed back across goal by Andre McCollin for Small to hook into the net from six yards.

The second half continued in a similar vein with missed chances at both ends. Hall went past two defenders before lifting his shot over the bar. Adam Smith's free-kick saw Frew again head wide of the target. Tooting had a great chance to increase their lead with Stimson going clear with Reynolds saving with his legs but McCollin blazed high from the rebound. McCollin was then denied a second time by a fine one-handed save from Reynolds.

Most Read

The game swung Lowestoft's way following a couple of substitutions with Chris Henderson replacing a far from match fit Lubo Guentchev and Adrian Forbes replacing Frew. Henderson almost scored with his first contribution shooting against the legs of Giddens. Forbes though made an instant impact moving on to a Nolan flick to shoot past Giddens for the equaliser in the 68th minute.

For the second year running Nolan was denied a goal at this venue with his 77th minute effort ruled offside and Henderson again shot against the keeper's legs.

It was Tooting however who claimed the winning goal in the 84th minute with a well rehearsed free-kick routine setting McCollin free to shoot across Reynolds into the net from 12 yards. The final minute saw Francis again hit the woodwork from a narrow angle as the home side hung on to secure their first home league win.

• Tooting & Mitcham United: Giddens, Wanadio, Noone (O'Cearvill, 76), Briggs, Drage, Lovett, Stimson, Hall (Grant, 81), McCollin (Newman, 88), Small, Dove, Subs (not used) Robinson, Wilson

• Lowestoft Town: Reynolds, Cave-Brown, Smith, Ainsley (Forshaw, 86), Crane, Gaughran, Guentchev (Henderson, 52), Fisk, Nolan, Frew (Forbes, 65), Francis, Subs (not used) Okay, Onuchukwu.

• Attendance: 259

• Lowestoft Town have arranged a friendly with Kirkley & Pakefield for Tuesday evening 1st November, kick off 7.45 at the Crown Meadow, admission prices �3 adults, �2 concessions �1 Under 16s.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter