Tonbridge Angels 1 Lowestoft Town 0: Trawlerboys undone by Nathan Elder’s first-half strike
- Credit: Archant
Tonbridge Angels 1 Lowestoft Town 0
Tonbridge Angels completed a league double over Lowestoft Town with a single goal victory which replicated their victory at the Crown Meadow back in August.
The damage was again done by the massive Nathan Elder who climbed above the Trawlerboys' defence to head down past Jake Jessup.
Tonbridge were the dominant side for the majority of the game utilising the speed of wingers Damien Scannell and Nick Wheeler who supplied a stream of high balls into the area aiming for the head of Elder. It took just eight minutes for the tactics to pay off as Wheeler got the better of Harry Barker and Elder rose high to head down and wide of Jessup from 10 yards.
Tonbridge looked to have added a second when Wheeler got in a great header from Ugo Udogi's free kick but McAuley was on hand to head clear.
You may also want to watch:
A rare Lowestoft attack saw Hodd produce a typical bit of trickery down the right to cross for Jake Reed who saw his header collected by Anthony Di-Bernardo.
It was only a combination of resilient defending aided by some erratic finishing by Tonbridge that allowed Lowestoft to go in at the break with just a single goal deficit.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 3 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 4 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 9 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
Lowestoft sent on debutant Dominic Docherty on the hour mark and it was only in the final quarter of the match that they started to make inroads into the home defence.
Lowestoft's best move of the game saw Jarvis, McAuley and Barker combine down the right and from the latter's cross Mitchell Nelson just got in front of Shaun Bammant to power a header inches past his own goal.
Tonbridge Angels: Di-Bernardo, Udogi (Folkes 77), Parter, Parkinson, Nelson, Beaven, Scannell (Thompson 65), Phipp, Elder, Blewden, Wheeler. Subs not used: Allen, Sollis, Lawlor
Lowestoft Town: Jessup, Barker, Blake-Tracy (Docherty 59). Smith, Cole, Mcauley, Hodd (Forshaw 52), Ryan Jarvis, Reed, Bammant, Henderson. Subs not used: Fisk, Amisi, Waite.
Referee: Mr D Bonneywell