Tom Youngs set to join brother Ben on England duty in South Africa
Aylsham's Leicester Tigers hooker Tom Youngs is understood to have been included in England's 42-man squad for the daunting five-match tour of South Africa – despite never having started an Aviva Premiership match in the position.
Youngs, 25, is a converted centre and his Premiership experience is limited to just 12 appearances off the bench for Leicester, nine of which came this season.
But with Rob Webber and Chris Brooker injured, Youngs has been selected alongside his scrum-half brother Ben as one of four hookers in England's touring party.
England head coach Stuart Lancaster will announce his full squad for the three-Test tour on Thursday afternoon and Youngs is among a host of uncapped players to have been included.
Lancaster has also recalled Danny Care after the Harlequins scrum-half was excluded from the Six Nations on disciplinary grounds, along with James Haskell who was playing in Japan.
You may also want to watch:
Youngs made his only Premiership starts as a hard-hitting centre before being converted to hooker by the current South Africa coach Heyneke Meyer during his brief time in charge at Tigers.
After two years learning his new craft at Nottingham, Youngs returned to Leicester where he has been George Chuter's regular understudy this season.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 3 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 4 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 5 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 6 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 7 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 8 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 9 Floral tributes left to driver killed in A148 crash
- 10 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
Youngs will join Joe Gray, Dylan Hartley and Lee Mears as Lancaster's hooking options.