Tom Youngs misses England tour to be with ill wife
- Credit: PA
Hooker Tom Youngs will forego a place in England's touring squad to New Zealand next month in order to support his ill wife.
Youngs – from Aylsham – will miss the June Test series to look after his family, with England boss Stuart Lancaster firmly behind the move.
'Our thoughts are with Tom and Tiffany at this time and it is entirely right that he stays at home to support her and their daughter Maisie,' said head coach Lancaster.
'Everyone in the England squad sends them our best wishes.'
Youngs, a converted centre, has won 17 caps for England since his debut in 2012 and came off the bench to replace Dylan Hartley in all five matches during the 2014 Six Nations.
You may also want to watch:
Leicester director of rugby Richard Cockerill said: 'These things are more important than rugby, and Tom and his family have the full support of everyone at Leicester Tigers.
'We hope everyone respects their privacy at this time.'
- 1 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 2 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 3 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 4 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 5 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 6 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 7 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 8 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 9 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
Youngs' absence in New Zealand adds to England's hooker shortage, with Hartley, Rob Webber and David Paice all battling for fitness.