Tom Youngs misses England tour to be with ill wife
- Credit: PA
Hooker Tom Youngs will forego a place in England's touring squad to New Zealand next month in order to support his ill wife.
Youngs – from Aylsham – will miss the June Test series to look after his family, with England boss Stuart Lancaster firmly behind the move.
'Our thoughts are with Tom and Tiffany at this time and it is entirely right that he stays at home to support her and their daughter Maisie,' said head coach Lancaster.
'Everyone in the England squad sends them our best wishes.'
Youngs, a converted centre, has won 17 caps for England since his debut in 2012 and came off the bench to replace Dylan Hartley in all five matches during the 2014 Six Nations.
You may also want to watch:
Leicester director of rugby Richard Cockerill said: 'These things are more important than rugby, and Tom and his family have the full support of everyone at Leicester Tigers.
'We hope everyone respects their privacy at this time.'
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 8 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 9 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
Youngs' absence in New Zealand adds to England's hooker shortage, with Hartley, Rob Webber and David Paice all battling for fitness.