Title joy for Leverett and Masters
Fakenham Gallow Indoor Bowls Club's Ann Leverett and Beverly Masters have both won county titles before but there was an especially sweet taste of success for them when they won this year's Norfolk county pairs title.
Fakenham Gallow Indoor Bowls Club's Ann Leverett and Beverly Masters have both won county titles before but there was an especially sweet taste of success for them when they won this year's Norfolk county pairs title. The defeated finalists were English internationals Jayne Roylance and Christine Webb and they took the title 20-17 on their opponents home rink at North Walsham (Sunday 25 April).
"Beating them on their home ground was the icing on the cake", said Leverett who along with Masters have been Fakenham Gallow indoor club members for many years. Leverett rated it her number one success despite having picked up three other county titles in the last five years: twice as a member of club triples' teams and once as a member of a fours team. Masters had tasted county success as part of Gallow's county winning fours' and pairs' teams in previous years.
The partnership was a brand new one. The two only came together this winter because Leverett's normal partner, Pauline Frost, was unable to compete through illness.
Despite never having played together before Everett and Masters dominated the county final. They kept their noses well in front from beginning to end in what turned out to be a tight game, especially after they lost most of a healthy lead when they dropped five shots on the eighteenth end.
You may also want to watch:
Leverett and Masters said afterwards that one factor that helped them win was the large contingent of Gallow club members who travelled to North Walsham. "Support like that always gives you a lift," said Leverett.
- 1 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 2 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 3 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 6 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 7 Floral tributes left to driver killed in A148 crash
- 8 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 9 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 10 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's