Title joy for Leverett and Masters
Fakenham Gallow Indoor Bowls Club's Ann Leverett and Beverly Masters have both won county titles before but there was an especially sweet taste of success for them when they won this year's Norfolk county pairs title.
Fakenham Gallow Indoor Bowls Club's Ann Leverett and Beverly Masters have both won county titles before but there was an especially sweet taste of success for them when they won this year's Norfolk county pairs title. The defeated finalists were English internationals Jayne Roylance and Christine Webb and they took the title 20-17 on their opponents home rink at North Walsham (Sunday 25 April).
"Beating them on their home ground was the icing on the cake", said Leverett who along with Masters have been Fakenham Gallow indoor club members for many years. Leverett rated it her number one success despite having picked up three other county titles in the last five years: twice as a member of club triples' teams and once as a member of a fours team. Masters had tasted county success as part of Gallow's county winning fours' and pairs' teams in previous years.
The partnership was a brand new one. The two only came together this winter because Leverett's normal partner, Pauline Frost, was unable to compete through illness.
Despite never having played together before Everett and Masters dominated the county final. They kept their noses well in front from beginning to end in what turned out to be a tight game, especially after they lost most of a healthy lead when they dropped five shots on the eighteenth end.
You may also want to watch:
Leverett and Masters said afterwards that one factor that helped them win was the large contingent of Gallow club members who travelled to North Walsham. "Support like that always gives you a lift," said Leverett.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 6 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 7 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 8 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 9 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 10 54-home plan delayed due to 'nightmare' traffic concerns