Tilbury 3, Wroxham 2
A late fightback was not enough to salvage a point for the Yachtsmen at Tilbury in the North Division on Saturday.
Once again a difficult playing surface didn't help Wroxham in their aim to return from Essex with at least a share of the spoils.
Wroxham started brightly, employing a direct style of play, but went behind in the 23rd minute when they conceded a penalty following a mistake from Ben Jones. The spot kick was converted by defender Aaron Waters.
The Yachtsmen responded well with Ben Thompson twice going close, but he was denied by the Tilbury goalkeeper who saved both efforts with his legs.
The Dockers doubled their lead on 29 minutes when striker Danny Francis rode challenges from Gavin Lemmon and Ben Lewis before curling a shot beyond goalkeeper Michael Hilton.
You may also want to watch:
Wroxham started the second half better and upped their work rate considerably.
The Yachtsmen were creating more opportunities through strikers Matt Blake and Thompson but could not convert them into goals.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 4 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 5 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 6 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 7 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 8 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 9 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 10 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
Tilbury increased their lead against the run of play on 69 minutes when Emeil Aiken latched on to a 40-yard pass which was not dealt with by the Wroxham back line. Aiken took one touch in the box before finishing with ease. It proved to be Tilbury's only shot on goal in the second period.
Wroxham made changes with Jones, Lemmon and Blake replaced by Jamie Speller, Angelo Harrop and Jamie Forshaw. The substitutions helped the Yachtsmen get back in the game and Wroxham dominated the last 15 minutes, pushing hard to get back into the game.
The visitors pulled one back when a shot from Ross Durrant was saved, before Thompson fired home the rebound on 76 minutes.
Wroxham continued to attack and Forshaw scored a second for the Yachtsmen on 90 minutes, but it was too late for the away side to complete a remarkable comeback.
• Tilbury: Marrable, Mead, Cook, Gillman, Nightingill, Waters, Jacobs, Carlile, Francis, Cutler, Aiken. Subs: Henty, Webb, Llewellyn, Crooks, King
• Wroxham: Hilton, Lewis, Carus, McNeil, Halliday, Jones (Speller 55), Durrant, Lemmon (Harrop 75), Thompson, Blake (Forshaw 75), Daniels. Sub not used: Gordon
• Attendance: 101