Thurrock 2 Dereham Town 0: Magpies still without a win on the road
- Credit: IAN BURT
Dereham Town are still without a point away from home this season, after falling to defeat away at Thurrock on Saturday.
The Magpies conceded two goals in as many minutes in the early stages of the match at Ship Lane and, despite a much improved second-half performance, Dereham couldn't make their chances count.
Thurrock striker Charlie Stimpson bagged both goals for the Fleet; the first coming after nine minutes after the 22-year-old got the better of Magpies keeper Andrew Wilton at his near post.
Just two minutes later and Stimpson doubled the hosts' lead as his powerful right-footed effort found the back of Wilton's net, from a testing angle.
Dereham did almost respond straight away but Andy Walker kept out Toby Hilliard's powerful effort as Dereham began to create chances of their own and pressed for a way back into the game.
You may also want to watch:
In the moments leading up to half-time, Dereham turned the tables on Thurrock but, despite dominating the match, were unable to make their pressure tell with Walker producing a string of good saves.
The Magpies felt they were hard done by when Remi Sutton only received a yellow card for a reckless tackle on Ryan Hawkins in the second half.
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 4 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 7 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 8 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 9 A life in agony: 27-year-old's daily torture battling constant pain
- 10 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
And with just over 70 minutes on the clock, Hawkins saw his penalty saved as Dereham struggled to break down a solid Thurrock defence, who eventually ran out 2-0 winners.
Matt Henman's side are in league action again today, with Soham Town Rangers travelling to Aldiss Park, for a 3pm kick-off, having only dropped two points all season.