Thurlow Nunn round-up: Title joy for Norwich United after Clacton win
- Credit: Seb Daly/Focus Images Limited
Norwich United have won the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division after a 1-0 over FC Clacton.
The Planters' victory, coupled with Godmanchester's 3-0 defeat at home to Walham-le-Willows, means Damian Hilton's side are crowned champions with six matches still left to play. It was by no means a straight-forward afternoon for United though as they played for the majority of the contest with 10 men after Lee Mason's sending off in the first half.
But Paul Cook got the only goal of the game in the second period and Hilton was delighted at the way his side dug in for the victory.
'It's great to finally get the trophy,' he said. 'Lee was sent off after about 20 minutes and the lads did tremendously well - it kind of epitomised our season in terms of the commitment.'
Kirkley & Pakefield's fine season continued with a 4-0 win over Fakenham Town.
You may also want to watch:
Ross King plundered a hat-trick and Miguel Lopez also got on the scoresheet to keep the Royals in fourth-place on goal difference from Stanway in third.
Gorleston claimed a 1-1 draw at Whitton United, who face Lowestoft Town in the final of the Suffolk Premier Cup on Wednesday.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 10 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
Keegan Middleton put the Greens in front in the 25th minute but Whitton were level shortly after and held on for a point.
Two late Adam Mills goals gave Brantham all three points over Thetford Town.
It's hotting up in the First Division title as Great Yarmouth moved level on points with second-placed Swaffham after a 2-0 win over Team Bury. Mitch Forbes and Peter Oldham got the goals for the Bloaters, who sit in the final promotion place in third.
Swaffham Town are three points above Ricci Butler's men although the Pedlars dropped points in a 1-1 draw at home to Stowmarket as Alex Vincent netted a late equaliser.
Downham ran out 5-1 winners over Halstead with Mark Smith grabbing a hat-trick whilst Karl Tansley and Ben Longmuir also got on the scoresheet. King's Lynn Reserves ran out 3-2 victors over Woodbridge Town whilst Dereham Town Reserves shared six goals in a thriller at Needham Market Reserves.