Thurlow Nunn round-up: Thetford Town rue Newmarket late show

Thetford Town suffered an agonising home defeat at the hands of Newmarket.

Robbie Priddle gave the Brecklanders a half-time lead, but it was all square on 84 minutes when Newmarket scored from the penalty spot.

And then, with just a minute of normal time to play, the visitors snatched all three points.

Great Yarmouth Town were undone by two second-half goals as they dropped to seventh in the table. The Bloaters lost 2-0 at second-placed Stanway Rovers.

Leaders Mildenhall Town were 2-1 winners at Haverhill Rovers and are now eight points clear of Stanway, who themselves have a seven-point gap to third-placed Newmarket.

You may also want to watch:

Kirkley & Pakefield were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Godmanchester Rovers while there was a 2-1 home defeat for Swaffham Town, beaten by Hadleigh United.

Sary Rahma got the consolation goal for the Pedlars, heading in from close range after an hour to level the score. The visitors took the lead three minutes before half-time and they snatched the points with 15 minutes to go, a scrappy finish finding the back of the net.

Most Read

Fakenham Town picked up a useful point in a 1-1 draw at Long Melford, George Abbott with the Ghosts' goal.

In Division One, King's Lynn Town Reserves were beaten 2-1 at Debenham LC and Dereham Town's second string lost 2-0 at home to Braintree Town Reserves.

March Town United were 2-0 home winners over AFC Sudbury Reserves, thanks to goals from Lewis Thompson and Sean White, while Wisbech St Mary came away from Framlingham Town with all three points after a 3-2 win.

In the United Counties League, Wisbech Town had to come from behind to earn a 1-1 draw against Peterborough Northern Star in a wind-affected game at the Elgoods Fenland Stadium. The match was only two minutes old when the visitors opened the scoring. But with the elements in their favour, the second half was virtual one-way traffic and the equaliser arrived with nine minutes remaining. Billy Smith put a deep cross into the box which evaded everyone and found the corner of the net. Michael Frew thought he'd secured the points for Wisbech in the 85th minute, but he was offside.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter