Thurlow Nunn round-up: Norwich United back with a bang
Norwich United returned to winning ways at the top of the Premier Division.
Goals from Matt Blake and Adam Hipperson earned them a 2-0 win at Mildenhall Town, The Planters – beaten for only the second time this season in their previous outing, at home to Godmanchester – are eight points clear of Stanway Rovers.
There were some unwelcome results for other Norfolk teams, although Thetford managed to buck the trend with a 3-3 home draw against Long Melford. Oliver Standley gave them a lead, but they fell behind before Robbie Priddle forced home a second. Thetford went ahead through Shaun Hundson penalty, which left the visitors with only 10 men, but they scored a third early in the second half.
Fakenham Town lost 2-0 at home to Felixstowe & Walton United while Swaffham crashed 4-1 at Brantham Athletic.
Gorleston went down 3-0 at home to Godmanchester Rovers and Kirkley & Pakefield were beaten 1-0 at Hadleigh United.
In the First Division, Great Yarmouth kept up their promotion challenge with a 3-0 win at Dereham Reserves, thanks to goals from Chris Holmes (2) and Declan McAvoy, but Diss loss 1-0 at home to AFC Sudbury Reserves.
There was drama for Yarmouth – two of their starting XI arrived late at the ground, because Payton Swatman was taken ill in the car on the way to the ground. McAvoy and Holmes arranged for an ambulance to get new-signing Swatman to hospital and Yarmouth managed to start the game with a full complement of players. Swatman tweetd later: 'Thank you everyone for your messages and your kind words!!'
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 4 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 5 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 6 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 7 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 8 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 9 Transport plans approved despite 'lack of' climate change measures
- 10 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed