Thurlow Nunn round-up: Jack Garrod keeps Gorleston in title hunt

PUBLISHED: 18:49 29 January 2017 | UPDATED: 18:49 29 January 2017

Gorleston's Jack Garrod struck the winner at Stanway Rovers.

Gorleston's Jack Garrod struck the winner at Stanway Rovers.


Jack Garrod was the hero for Gorleston as the Greens claimed three crucial points at Stanway Rovers.

On a day when champions-elect Mildenhall Town suffered a 3-0 defeat at second-placed Felixstowe & Walton, Gorleston ensured they stayed in the title mix thanks to Garrod’s winner 12 minutes from time from a diving header.

Fourth-placed Gorleston are 18 points behind Mildenhall with six games in hand.

Thetford claimed an impressive victory at Fakenham Town as a quick start put them on the path to all three points.

Cameron King got the Brecklanders on their way with a superb 25-yard effort in only the second minute and Elliot Smith doubled their advantage in the fifth minute.

Fakenham pulled one back midway through the first half thanks to a Joel Glover penalty but gave themselves a real uphill battle when Sam Garner was red carded in the 66th minute. Danny White’s men wrapped up the win in the 76th minute through Ross Bailey’s spot-kick and the Ghosts were reduced to nine men shortly after when Kyle Plumb received his marching orders.

Swaffham Town remain rooted to the bottom of the table after a 2-1 defeat at home to Wivenhoe despite Sary Rahma’s first half strike. The Pedlars are five points adrift of FC Clacton at the bottom of the table although the Essex side also tasted defeat in a 6-0 reverse at home to Newmarket.

Great Yarmouth thought they had rescued a point when Mitch Forbes struck an 87th minute equaliser at the Wellesley against Long Melford.

However, there was still time for the visitors to snatch all three points in the 89th minute through Will Wingfield.

In the First Division Diss maintained their promotion challenge thanks to a 1-0 at home to Team Bury courtesy of a second-half Shaun Hunsdon goal.

Downham claimed a good 4-2 win at Braintree thanks to goals by Karl Tansley (two), Matthew Calvert and Matt Bussens whilst King’s Lynn Town Reserves were held to a 2-2 draw at home to Debenham LC.

Dereham Town Reserves lost 2-1 to Needham Market Reserves whilst March Town were hammered 5-0 at Stowmarket. Wisbech St Mary were beaten 4-1 at home to Woodbridge Town.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press