Thurlow Nunn round-up: Hough double gives Greens victory in thriller
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2013
Bradley Hough's late double gave Gorleston a crucial victory in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division after a 12-goal thriller against Newmarket.
The Greens fell behind early on thanks to an excellent 30-yard strike from Jake Wayne but the visitors hit back in the 11th minute through Ben Lewis' solo effort. However, Gorleston still looked all at sea defensively and two goals in two minutes gave them a mountain to climb as Deakan Napier and Wayne gave Newmarket a 3-1 lead.
Gorleston rallied before half-time though and a fine poacher's effort from Christy Finch and a composed finish from Peter Lambert made it 3-3 at the break. Lee Clift put Newmarket in front again but Josh Armes levelled it up with a volleyed effort. The game looked to have gone for Gorleston when, shortly after Zak Clarke received his marching orders for a second bookable offence, Scott Paterson headed the Jockeys in front once more. Stewart Larter's men showed a lot of character though as Ally McKenna levelled.
Six minutes from time Gorleston gained the lead for the first time through Hough and the striker sealed an epic contest late on with a fine individual goal.
An Adam Bennett goal gave Norwich United all three points at home to Ely.
Thetford's battle to get away from the relegation zone took a turn for the better despite the Brecklanders missing two out of three penalties they were awarded in their 3-2 win over Diss. The Tangerines took the lead through Adam Burroughs early on and Thetford spurned the chance to equalise from the spot when Matt Dixon's effort was saved by James Bergin. Sam Bryant did manage to pull the visitors level but Diss went back in front before the break through Tom Dew.
Dixon made it 2-2 early in the second half before Martin Carter was successful from the penalty spot. Jacob Brown and Bruno Tavares were both shown red cards following an altercation before Carter saw another penalty saved late on.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 6 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 7 Neighbours shock at ‘unexplained’ sudden death of woman
- 8 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 9 Norfolk holiday home named one of the best in the UK
- 10 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
Kirkley & Pakefield went down to a 2-1 loss at home to Brantham Athletic despite Matt Brown scoring from the penalty spot.
Swaffham enjoyed an impressive 4-2 win at Stowmarket in the First Division as the Pedlars raced into a 3-0 lead before the break – Rory Harper (two) and Jack Redhead the scorers. Two goals inside five minutes for Stowmarket caused some alarm among Swaffham followers but Alex Vincent smashed home in injury time to make sure of the points.
Fakenham dropped to third in the table after a 2-1 defeat at Whitton – Robbie Harris on target for the Ghosts, whilst Great Yarmouth Town were well beaten, 5-0, at Sudbury Reserves.
There was also disappointment for March Town, who lost 2-0 at home to Haverhill.