Thurlow Nunn round-up: Gorleston slip up in title race after Ely defeat
- Credit: Archant
The Thurlow Nunn Premier Division title race took another twist this weekend as Gorleston gave up ground after a 2-1 defeat at Ely City.
The Greens just weren't at the races all afternoon as goals from Sam Reed and Ashley Walter gave Ely all three points. Joel Watts got a consolation in stoppage time but it was too little, too late and Ricci Butler's men stay in fourth, 11 points off leaders Mildenhall, who have played fives games more.
Mildenhall's title challenge continued to falter after they were held to a 1-1 draw at Saffron Walden. The leaders are now without a win in four games and the result saw second-placed Felixstowe & Walton close the gap on them to six points having played two fewer games.
The Seasiders' were 2-1 winners at Brantham Athletic whilst third-placed Newmarket Town can't be ruled out of the race after a 3-1 win over Fakenham Town. Danny Williams got the goal for the Ghosts.
Thetford Town enjoyed a 4-0 win at home to FC Clacton as Robbie Priddle bagged a brace for the Brecklanders. Johnny Conroy and substitute Bradley Sandell were also on the scoresheet.
You may also want to watch:
Danny White's men will have their eyes on catching sixth-placed Great Yarmouth Town, who drew 0-0 at Haverhill Rovers.
Kirkley & Pakefield enjoyed a convincing 4-1 win over Wivenhoe Town as the Royals look to finish the season with a flourish. Jordan Haverson opened the scoring in the 38th minute before Ross King put the home side firmly in charge early in the second half. Haverson got his second of the afternoon to put the game beyond any doubt and Kyle Haylock completed the scoring.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 3 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 6 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
Swaffham Town look doomed at the bottom of the table after they were on the wrong end of a 6-1 drubbing at home to Stanway Rovers.
Alex Vincent got the goal for the Pedlars, who are four points adrift of FC Clacton and look destined for relegation.
In the First Division Diss were beaten 3-1 at Braintree Town Reserves whilst Dereham Town Reserves lost 3-0 to Woodbridge Town.
Downham Town lost 3-0 against promotion-chasing Stowmarket and Wisbech St Mary lost 3-1 at home to Framlingham Town. Connor Pilbeam got the goal for the Saints.