Thurlow Nunn round-up: Finch keeps Greens in title hunt

Gorleston stayed on the coat tails of leaders Hadleigh with a 2-1 win over Wivenhoe at Emerald Park.

Christy Finch grabbed both goals for the Greens to take his tally to 17 for the season but they were made to work hard for their victory. Gorleston had to wait until the 51st minute to break the deadlock when Nathan Stone robbed Wivenhoe's Luke Goldie-McSorley before pulling the ball back for Finch, who made no mistake. FInch sealed victory in the 66th minute before Goldie-McSorley got a consolation from the penalty spot.

Hadleigh maintained their 11-point cushion over Stewart Larter's men thanks to a 5-1 hammering of Diss Town.

The Tangerines had taken a surprise lead in the 18th minute when Danny Easlea broke the deadlock and Thomas Webb came close to doubling their advantage, only to see his effort strike the woodwork. Hadleigh came out a different side in the second half and over-ran the hosts, demonstrating their title credentials.

Norwich United had to settle for a 2-2 draw at Felixstowe & Walton. The Seasiders took the lead through Ryan Birchfield but Matt Blake got the Planters back on level terms with his 10th of the season. Shortly after Norwich took the lead when Adam Bennett nodded home from Steve Shipley's fine cross. Felixstowe rallied in the second half and found an equaliser.

Kirkley & Pakefield came from 3-1 down at Woodbridge to win 5-3 thanks to goals from Ross King (two), Nathan Russell (two) and Gary Williams.

Thetford Town gained a creditable point thanks to a 2-2 draw at Brantham Athletic.

Most Read

Great Yarmouth made it 14 games unbeaten in the First Division with a 2-0 win over Long Melford thanks to goals from Joel Watts and Mitch Forbes. The Bloaters sit in third place in the table with Fakenham just behind after the Ghosts came from 2-0 down to beat Haverhill Borough thanks to goals from Robbie Harris, Jake Wiseman and James Page. Sam Egbayelo was on target for March Town but the Hares went down to a 3-1 defeat at home to Braintree Reserves whilst Dereham Town Reserves were beaten 5-2 by Debenham.

Downham were well beaten by Saffon Walden at home, 4-1 whilst there was a surprise in the Norfolk Senior Cup third round as goals from George Gagen and Christopher Gibbons gave Mattishall a 2-1 win over Swaffham Town.