Thurlow Nunn round-up: Bloaters end leaders’ long winning run

Great Yarmouth Town proved they are a match for anyone in the First Division when they ended leaders' Wivenhoe's long winning run.

It was a case of third against first when the sides met at The Wellesley, and although it finished goalless, Yarmouth will take a lot of positives from ending unbeaten Wivenhoe's run of 14 successive wins in the league.

The Bloaters are a dozen points behind the leaders, but they can go second tomorrow night if they win at Ely City, who are currently three points ahead of them, but with an inferior goal difference.

Kings' Lynn Town are fourth in the table after a 3-0 home win over Leiston Reserves, but Downham Town's struggles continue after they squandered a 2-0 lead to go down 3-2 at home to Halstead, while Diss were beaten 2-1 at Haverhill Borough.

In the Premier Division, leaders Norwich United were without a game. Stanway moved into second place ahead of Felixstowe & Walton United – also without a game – after a 2-1 home win over Saffron Walden Town.

Gorleston enjoyed a 4-2 home win over Whitton United – and then revealed they had signed Matty Brown from Kirkley & Pakefield. Brown is an attacking left back who made 22 appearances for the Royals this season, scoring four goals. He joined Kirkley from Colchester Utd and was previously with Norwich City.

The Greens made hard work of beating the bottom side, despite giving themselves an early head start when Peter Lambert scored after just 10 seconds.

Most Read

With five minutes gone, Lambert made it 2-0.

Gorleston let Whitton off the hook, and on 37 minutes they pulled one back. The Greens made it 3-1 in the 58th minute when Lambert completed his hat-trick, but again they allowed Whitton back into the game with a second goal on 70 minutes.

Gorleston made the game safe with seven minutes left through Keegan Middleton.

Fakenham Town's first match under returning boss Wayne Anderson ended 1-1 at Brantham, while Swaffham led twice, through Sam Loomes and Joe Jackson but ended up drawing 2-2 at Long Melford.

Kirkley & Pakefield went down 3-0 at Mildenhall.