Thurlow Nunn League round-up: Lambert’s strike helps Gorleston keep up the pressure

Gorleston, green, are still hot on Hadleigh's heels. Picture: David Hardy.

Gorleston, green, are still hot on Hadleigh's heels. Picture: David Hardy. - Credit: Archant

Gorleston kept up the pressure on Premier Division leaders Hadleigh United thanks to a stunning late winner from Peter Lambert.

Stewart Larter's Greens survived a second-half fightback from CRC to make it four wins on the bounce with a 3-2 victory. An own goal and an Eddie Thompson strike had put the second-placed side in cruise control at Emerald Park. But they needed Lambert's 84th-minute belter to pick up all three points after being pegged back.

Hadleigh – who are nine points clear having played two games more – won 1-0 at home against Haverhill Rovers.

Norwich United lost 4-2 at Godmanchester Rovers. It was a defeat which saw the victors move up to third while the Planters dropped to seventh.

Goals from Kyle Baker and a Ross King brace were enough to see Kirkley & Pakefield triumph 3-1 at Brantham Athletic. And there was also joy for Diss Town who came out on the right-side, just, of a seven-goal thriller against Stanway Rovers.

In the First Division, Great Yarmouth Town drew 3-3 at Haverhill Borough as league leaders Whitton United won again to pull away from the chasing pack. The Suffolk outfit are seven points clear.

In that league's knockout cup, Swaffham Town enjoyed a huge 6-3 first-round victory over Ipswich Wanderers.

Most Read

Striker Joe Jackson bagged a hat-trick, Jack Redhead a brace while Lewis Thompson also got his name on the scoresheet. The Pedlars' triumph was all the more impressive considering they were 2-0 down inside the first 20 minutes. Thompson and Redhead's penalty made it all square but Wanderers went ahead again before Jackson took centre stage. Keeper Lee Brooks also saved a penalty for Paul Hunt's troops.

Fakenham Town and March Town United exited the competion with the former losing 1-0 at home to Dereham Town Reserves and the latter tasing a 4-0 reverse at Debenham LC.