Thurlow Nunn League round-up: First Division pair spare Norfolk blushes on a barren afternoon
- Credit: Nick Butcher
It was a case of slim pickings for Norfolk sides with just two wins to cheer up supporters.
Gorleston were the only Premier Division side to gain a point, in a 1-1 draw at home to Haverhill Rovers, with neighbours Great Yarmouth Town going down 2-0 at Mildenhall and Fakenham losing 2-0 at Felixstowe & Walton United.
There was also a defeat for Suffolk side Kirkley & Pakefield, beaten 2-1 at Hadleigh. Gorleston boss Ricci Butler was forced into changes, but the Greens started well against Haverhill and were ahead after just nine minutes. Kieren Joseph picked the ball up on the left and squared it into the box, where it was helped on by Joel Watts to Liam Brown who fired into the net for his first of the season.
The Greens continued to be dominant and have the majority of the possession but allowed their opponents back into the game in the 19th minute. A long hopeful punt forward from the Haverhill keeper bounced into the Gorleston box. Young keeper George Parkin stretched to hold it, but succeeded only in knocking it down to the feet of a Rovers player who crossed into the box where Ben Bradley tapped into the empty net.
Diss Town and King's Lynn Town Reserves were the only Norfolk winners, with stylish First Division performances. The Tangerines were 4-2 winners away to Cornard United, while the Linnets' second string enjoyed a thumping 8-2 home win over Needham Market Reserves.
You may also want to watch:
Sol Pope put Diss ahead at Cornard, who turned it around to lead 2-1 at the break, after Jason Armes had a penalty saved. But Pope equalised before Shaun Hunsdon put Diss 3-2 up with Charlie Webb adding a fourth.
Downham Town went down 2-0 at new boys Coggleshall Town, Dereham Town Reserves were beaten 4-0 by visiting Stowmarket Town, Wisbech St Mary drew 1-1 at Woodbridge Town and March Town United drew 1-1 with Halstead Town.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
In the UCL Premier, Wisbech Town lost 1-0 at Leicester Nirvana.