Fakenham Town beaten in new manager’s first game in charge

New Fakenham boss Andy Cunningham watching from the sidelines during the home defeat by Histon in hi

New Fakenham boss Andy Cunningham watching from the sidelines during the home defeat by Histon in his first game in charge. Picture: Ronnie Heyhoe - Credit: Archant

Fakenham Town produced an improved performance in new manager Andy Cunningham's first game in charge - but it was not enough to prevent a 2-0 home defeat at the hands of Histon.

The Ghosts had more than enough openings to have taken something from the game but two second-half goals from Ed Ralph left them firmly entrenched in the bottom three of Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division.

'If we had taken our chances and got the first goal then I think the game would have been completely different,' said Cunningham. 'We had a couple of really good chances but didn't take them and ultimately the difference was they took their chances and we didn't.'

Great Yarmouth turned in an excellent performances at The Wellesley to see off Ipswich Wanderers, who had beaten leaders Felixstowe & Walton in their previous fixture.

The Bloaters got their noses in front five minutes into the second half when Haydn Davis fired home and made it 2-0 in the closing stages when 17-year-old substitute Keiran Hagan brilliantly wrong-footed the 'keeper.

You may also want to watch:

The win lifted the Bloaters above neighbours Gorleston, who put up a brave fight at Felixstowe before going down 3-2. The Greens scored twice in three minutes just before half-time through Kyle Ingram and Ross Gilfedder to lead 2-1 but two second-half goals from Miles Powell saw them return home empty-handed.

Thetford Town hit the goal trail at struggling Wivenhoe, coming away with a 6-0 victory. Andrew Wood led the way with a hat-trick while Alex McIntosh, Max Melanson and Robbie Priddle were also on target.

Most Read

It was a disappointing day for Wroxham, who were beaten 1-0 at home by Long Melford. A first-half penalty from Nathan Rowe settled the issue in a match that only went ahead after two pitch inspections.

In Division One, Swaffham Town put their disappointing Boxing Day defeat at Downham Town behind them when they won 2-1 at AFC Sudbury to move back to the top of Division One. Alex Vincent struck early in the second half to put the Pedlars ahead and substitute Kieran Bruce added a second six minutes from time before the hosts netted a consolation,

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter