Thurlow Nunn League preview: Premier Division Norwich United can almost taste the Champagne
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
Boss John Edridge can finish the job Damian Hilton started by completing Norwich United's Premier Division title defence this afternoon.
The champions have dominated the top flight again this season as they eye pulling off a back-to-back league and cup double. Not even Hilton's February departure to take over higher-level Wroxham has slowed the Planters' momentum.
It's been business as usual since the club's assistant Edridge stepped up to the plate with United powering ahead on three fronts following their progression to next month's Norfolk Senior Cup final. While two pieces of silverware are still very much up for grabs, retaining their league trophy has always appeared a matter of time.
That moment will finally arrive at about 4.50pm today if Norwich secure their 31st three-point haul of another successful campaign at home to fourth-placed Felixstowe & Walton United. A home victory would not only start a promotion party which looks set to stop at the Ryman League, but it would also completely end Godmanchester Rovers' slim hopes of dethroning the champions-elect.
Rovers, third, ensured that their dreams could continue for another few days at least on Wednesday when they beat Felixstowe 3-2. But it will be curtains this afternoon, regardless of their result at home to Brantham Athletic, if Edridge's boys get the job done.
Elsewhere, much attention will be focused on the fight to stay in the division – which now, according to the league's website, will only be losing two teams, not three, at the end of the term.
Fakenham Town did their chances the world of good on Tuesday by beating Thetford Town to move up to third-from-bottom. Today the Ghosts welcome sixth-placed Mildenhall Town while Thetford, one place and four points ahead of the side they lost to in midweek, visit mid-table FC Clacton.
- 1 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 2 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 3 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 4 Scammers targeting Norfolk homes with fake parcel deliveries
- 5 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 6 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 7 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 8 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 9 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 10 Soldier from Norwich jailed over rape of girl
Swaffham Town will attempt to halt their disastrous slide to one place off the basement when they host Saffron Walden Town.
In the First Division, Great Yarmouth Town, third, will be looking to bounce back from a shock home midweek reverse against struggling Downham Town when they welcome Woodbridge Town, seventh.
The Bloaters have a five-point buffer over the side directly outside of the promotion places, Halstead Town, with just four games to go.
See today's paper for a full fixture list involving our area's sides.