Thurlow Nunn League preview: Points put to one side as FA Vase comes into full focus
- Credit: Archant
A host of the area's clubs will be looking to see off county rivals in order to progress in a national competition.
Instead of focusing on the prize of three points, there's £800 at stake when Diss Town, Fakenham Town, Great Yarmouth Town, Gorleston, March Town United, Swaffham Town, Thetford Town and Downham Town take to the field in FA Vase second qualifying round action.
There will also be Norfolk bragging rights up for grabs with Fakenham hosting their Premier Division counterparts Yarmouth. The same goes for the duo's high-flying top-flight compatriots Thetford, who welcome First Division Downham.
Yarmouth will be looking to avenge a 4-1 derby defeat in the league to Kirkley & Pakefield in midweek while Fakenham will aim to build on a 4-2 success of their own in a cup match against their neighbours, albeit the reserve side of Dereham Town.
Downham will have to go some to prevent Danny White's Thetford from progressing. They are unbeaten in six and have enjoyed an incredible transformation after needing a relegation reprieve to stay up in the top tier last term.
You may also want to watch:
Diss, Swaffham and Gorleston will all take on sides that are not far from home as the regional stages of the prestigious knockout continue.
First Division Diss visit higher-tier new boys Ely City, Gorleston – third, one place behind Thetford – welcome lower-level March Town United while Swaffham Town travel to same-level United Counties League (UCL) Premier Division Huntingdon Town.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 3 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 4 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 5 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 6 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
In league action, Kirkley travel to Stanway Rovers while in the First Division, King's Lynn Town Reserves visit AFC Sudbury's second-string, Wisbech St Mary travel to Stowmarket Town and Dereham Town Reserves, who have lost nine out of nine and sit rock bottom, will aim to break their duck at home to Leiston Reserves.
Wisbech Town – beaten 4-1 in midweek by their former boss Brett Whaley's Yaxley –will aim to halt a run of three successive defeats, which has seen them ship 12 goals, when they welcome Oadby Town in the UCL Premier.