Thurlow Nunn League preview: Pivotal weekend in the Premier and First Divisions
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Sir Alex Ferguson coined the phrase 'it's squeaky bum time' – and that's what it'll be for the area's Thurlow Nunn League sides today.
With the season drawing to a close, and a host of Premier Division clubs only having two games left, it's going to be another pivotal weekend for those at the top and bottom of the divisions in the Eastern Counties' set-up.
Fourth-placed Gorleston are outsiders in the top-flight title race but know they do have a game in hand on the league leaders Felixstowe & Walton United. A win today may keep them four points behind but they'll be hoping to make sure they can take their championship challenge into the final week of the campaign.
Sixth-placed Norwich United, enjoying a great term under Damian Hilton, can still leapfrog the Greens if they keep up their superb run. But a victory will help their Norfolk rivals as they welcome Felixstowe. Mid-table Kirkley & Pakefield will be as relaxed as any when they visit Godmanchester Rovers – who, in fifth, can still lift the title.
It'll certainly be a nervous afternoon for those connected with Diss Town and Thetford Town. The former are in the relegation zone, one point behind Ely City, and welcome Brightlingsea Regent – who are third. Thetford, two points better off than Diss, host Haverhill Rovers looking to put more distance between themselves and the drop zone.
You may also want to watch:
In the First Division, only a set of freak results can deny Fakenham Town promotion. They are guaranteed to finish even second or third, unless they lose and suffer a 33-goal swing with fourth-placed Haverhill Borough. So it should still be celebration time at Clipbush Park whatever the result.
Swaffham Town end their campaign at champions Whitton United, Great Yarmouth Town finish off at home to Stowmarket Town while Dereham Town Reserves visit Haverhill Borough.
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 5 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 6 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 7 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 10 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate