Thurlow Nunn League preview: Pivotal weekend in the Premier and First Divisions
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Sir Alex Ferguson coined the phrase 'it's squeaky bum time' – and that's what it'll be for the area's Thurlow Nunn League sides today.
With the season drawing to a close, and a host of Premier Division clubs only having two games left, it's going to be another pivotal weekend for those at the top and bottom of the divisions in the Eastern Counties' set-up.
Fourth-placed Gorleston are outsiders in the top-flight title race but know they do have a game in hand on the league leaders Felixstowe & Walton United. A win today may keep them four points behind but they'll be hoping to make sure they can take their championship challenge into the final week of the campaign.
Sixth-placed Norwich United, enjoying a great term under Damian Hilton, can still leapfrog the Greens if they keep up their superb run. But a victory will help their Norfolk rivals as they welcome Felixstowe. Mid-table Kirkley & Pakefield will be as relaxed as any when they visit Godmanchester Rovers – who, in fifth, can still lift the title.
It'll certainly be a nervous afternoon for those connected with Diss Town and Thetford Town. The former are in the relegation zone, one point behind Ely City, and welcome Brightlingsea Regent – who are third. Thetford, two points better off than Diss, host Haverhill Rovers looking to put more distance between themselves and the drop zone.
You may also want to watch:
In the First Division, only a set of freak results can deny Fakenham Town promotion. They are guaranteed to finish even second or third, unless they lose and suffer a 33-goal swing with fourth-placed Haverhill Borough. So it should still be celebration time at Clipbush Park whatever the result.
Swaffham Town end their campaign at champions Whitton United, Great Yarmouth Town finish off at home to Stowmarket Town while Dereham Town Reserves visit Haverhill Borough.
- 1 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 4 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 5 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 6 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 7 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 8 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 9 Road through village closed by floodwater
- 10 13 cars targeted in tyre-slashing spree