Thurlow Nunn League preview: Gorleston look to continue best start for 20 years
- Credit: Archant
Gorleston are chasing a place in the history books after their record-breaking start to the season.
The Greens' seven-game unbeaten run is their best start to a campaign since 1983-84 – when they lost their eighth match, which was at Chelmsford City in the FA Cup. However, they still have a long way to go to equal their finest start yet, which was 18 unbeaten at the beginning of the 1923/24 term.
Stewart Larter's side – who have an FA Cup first round qualifying date at Spalding on September 14 – are at home to Newmarket Town today. A victory will see them leapfrog Norwich United and climb back to the top of the Thurlow Nunn Premier League table.
Elsewhere, Kirkley & Pakefield host Ely City while Diss Town are at Woodbridge Town.
In the First Division, Fakenham Town host Needham Market Reserves, Great Yarmouth Town entertain AFC Sudbury Reserves and unbeaten Swaffham Town are at home to Team Bury. Dereham Town Reserves visit Cornard United in the Step Six league's knockout cup preliminary round.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham will be looking to recreate their recent home form which has seen them plunder 14 goals in two matches. Boss Wayne Anderson said, after their midweek draw at Swaffham, said: 'I'm confident that, playing at home on a better pitch – and it will be nice to be back at home – we can get the three points.'
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 4 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 5 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Jail for 'Jekyll and Hyde' builder who made customer 'fear for her life'