Thurlow Nunn League: Norwich United preserve Premier Division lead with impressive win
- Credit: Archant
Norwich United struck a crucial blow to one of their Premier Division title rivals with a 2-1 victory over Newmarket at Plantation Park.
Ben Jones set the Planters on their way to all three points before a wonderful effort by Matthew Daniels doubled their advantage. The third-placed Jockeymen rallied and pulled one back from the penalty spot but Damian Hilton's men held on for victory, which saw them preserve their six-point advantage at the top of the league over Godmanchester, who won 3-0 at Walsham-le-Willows.
Hadleigh's hopes of retaining the title suffered a knock as Fakenham claimed an impressive 2-0 win away at the Suffolk side.
Two first-half goals gave the Ghosts victory with Danny Williams opening the scoring before Sam Garner made it 2-0 after meeting Harris' pinpoint cross from the left. Jake Wiseman could have put the seal on victory in the second half only to be foiled by Hadleigh goalkeeper Max Planck.
Kirkley & Pakefield bounced back from their FA Vase defeat to Dunstable last weekend with a 4-2 win over Ely City.
You may also want to watch:
Braces from Lewis Swatman and Ross King moved the Royals up to sixth place in the table, just two points off third-placed Newmarket with a game in hand.
Matt Waters was on target in Diss' 1-1 draw at Wivenhoe whilst Thetford came back from 1-0 down at half-time at Mildenhall, winning 2-1 thanks to goals from Ian Fancett and Ryan Pearson.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 3 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 4 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 5 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 6 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 7 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
Swaffham Town went down to a disappointing 1-0 defeat to new leaders Saffron Walden in the First Division.
The Pedlars felt they deserved a share of the spoils after hitting the woodwork twice in the dying moments after Alex Vincent's superb effort. The points could prove crucial in the title race and Swaffham will be looking to avenge the result when they go to the Essex outfit in March although there are plenty of points to play for before then.
Downham claimed all three points at home to King's Lynn Town Reserves thanks to Karl Tansley's goal.